Thanks Guys,

I've decided to go for it, and i'll probably let CCA fabricate something for the glovebox as i'm not great with woodworking etc.

In answer to your points ..

A bit of tape covering the sharp edges on the rear of the plate might be in order...

i'm definately going to do this.

Agreed. Also, the longer replacement cable from Eutronix might be a good idea as well. Less tension on the drive cable and header.

Is this something I can fit myself (without soldering) .. ?

If you do go with an odd mounting angle, I recommend that you open the player regularly and check for problems: The rubber mounts coming out of their sockets, the disk tray cutting into cables, that sort of thing.

I will. Though admittedly I would only use the empeg in the car 2 or 3 times a week as I work from home quite a lot.

And keep your music backed up on your PC and well-organized so that if you have to get another disk drive it isn't the end of the world.

Of course ..it might take a bit of time to recover but some re-organisation is probably a good thing for me, and I ought to rip somet mp3's at a higher bit rate

Of course, if it were me, the Alpine would be the first thing to go. My empeg doesn't deserve second-class status in the glove box

Clearly this is compromise for me too. Incidently I had the setup the other way around in my VW Golf, and it became a pain that 'a non-empeg journey' ..( i.e. a short one, or if there is nowhere to secure it at the other end) .. were silent. At least with the Alpine i can have my fav MP3's on a disc to give me about 70 tunes, plus radio. Also the volume control on the empeg is knackered.

have you considered butchering the glove box to allow static empeg mounting irrespective of open/closed position?

We did consider butchering the lower part of the dash, but I've got to admit i like the 'close it and it's gone' aspect of the glove box install

Some cars mount the airbags just above the glove box. I'd be afraid to work around them or do any mods to them

It looks like they don't need to go near the airbag, but i'll ask CCA the question.

Thanks everyone ...