Quote:
Once again, the comments made by my countrymen make me ashamed to be American. At least I can take solace in the fact that I have nearly nothing in common with most of them.

Right, because you are so OBVIOUSLY better than those people who responded.

Take any cross-section of any society and you will get comments with just as varying amounts of wisdom/eloquence. Being dumb, ignorant, racist or imperialistic is not the sole realm of Americans. Accept the fact that you live in a society that is free to express their opinion, if you agree with it or not. You do not know the content of the e-mail that was sent to those people. As I understand it, the e-mail content sent to a person from Clark county (45 minutes from my house, and where my wife graduated from college) was left up to the individual who requested an e-mail address from the Guardian's webpage. I would imagine some letters sent could have been just as nasty.

I think the vast majority of people who recieved e-mails from across the pond either a) ignored them, b) politely declined the advice given (this is what I would do), or c) the e-mail was caught in their spam filter and deleted. The people who responded with offensive comments are going to be the loudmouth redneck types who are not representative of Americans as a whole. Which ones do you think the Guardian would have printed? This letter is not exactly a polite request, it is more: "Your administration sucks, here's how to vote in November". Americans, above all, hate being told what to do or how to think. This is especially true when it comes to politics.

We in the US at least are able to respect others who do not share the same views as we do. I get the feeling that this is not true in other countries.