I've had a little help from a couple of folks, and from the looks of it, my partitions are all where they're supposed to be, but the problem is that my Drive0 is blank all of a sudden. Drive1 is OK, but there were only a few songs on that drive.

It happened when Emplode was doing a disk-check operation on the drives during a synch. It was one of the "long" disk-checks. Yes, it was the alpha software, but I don't think that had anything to do with it.

It seems to me like something partially corrupted the music partition on drive0, then when I tried to re-install some .upgrade files and FSCK the disk a few times to try to fix it, those "repairs" somehow destroyed what was left of the file table on my music partition. I don't know how, though, and I'm not sure how to find out.

I'm going to try to get Midnight Commander running, and use it to carefully check the disk to see if it was a hardware problem. If not, I'm going to reformat the drives from scratch and reload all my music. I'm told that even if the Undelete function in Midnight Commander can find the files, it can't find the file NAMES, so it won't be able to magically make my partition come back.

Odd thing is, my EQ settings are all still there. Where are those stored? Wherever that is, it's still OK.

It's possible that I caused this to happen, although I'm not sure how. I added a second drive, and I had a custom init which seemed to work OK for a week before this happened.

Maybe I just have really bad luck with hard disks? I feel really embarassed that I put up a disk-replacement FAQ but I can't even keep my own disks in good health. Somebody please tell me that their disks are fine and it's not my fault and that I'm just unlucky?

Attachments
27622-fsck results.gif (105 downloads)