A asked a friend to write about his recent experience for you:

Quote:
The operation is fairly typical. No food/drink before hand, take some painkillers before you go down to be operated on. A couple of injections and you wake up feeling really groggy from which you slowly recover. I woke up at around 1pm.

At 2 pm I was drinking. It felt like I had tonsilitis.
At 3 pm I got out of bed to go to the loo. Mainly because I get bored easily and wanted to get out of bed. A nurse checked I was ok to do so and not wobbly.
I then spent most of the afternoon in and out of bed. Probably best to stay in bed, but meh, I get bored.
At 5pm it was time for tea. I was under the knife when the order forms came round, so I got nothing I liked. I had to eat fairly normal food. In the old days it was ice cream, then more recently it was toast (to remove the scab), but now it seems to be normal food. I sent my girlfriend for a wopper and fries, which I ate about 3/4 of before it got too painful.
Overnight I had really bad sleep apnea as my wounds were very flappy (I had tonsils removed due to sleep apnea). I had nurses checking regularly for blood oxygen (i had an alarm for that), pulse etc. In the end I was put on 02 and was much better.
Ate breakfast and got discharged with 2 types of painkillers, which I took whether I needed them or not, as one of them is very slow acting - voltradol IIRC.
Was warned about day 5. The pain got steadily worse until day 5 which was an evil combination of wisdom tooth pain, sore throat and ear ache. I didn't each much.
Then day 6 was better, and so was each day after that.
Day 14 I was just about ready to go back to work, which is much what they predict.
I'm now a different person. I don't know why you are having yours out, but my sleep apnea was cured entirely and I feel amazing.

In summary. Yes it will hurt. No it won't hurt like hell. Day 5 won't be much fun, but overall it's really really worth it.