Quote:
But once you start the transformation, can you, say, sharpen the image? Or do you have to either cancel, or apply, the transformation, before you're allowed to sharpen the image? My guess (I don't have Photoshop) is that it's an atomic operation -- you can either do a transformation, or not, but you can't have it in some in-between stage. If you don't hit RETURN, what other option do you have, CANCEL?

That's right, you have to apply or cancel. You can't do anything while transforming. In fact Photoshop it primarily a collection of modal dialogs and mini atomic operations.

Quote:
In the example I used of "display", resizing the image is not an atomic operation. I can change the image size, then go off and do other operations, then come back and hit apply.

That's super useful. I'm interested to see if Pixelmator implements this deferral in its UI.

Quote:
I just wanted to show that the answer, unfortunately, isn't just common sense following knowledge of what resampling is, but, where multiple image resize operations are concerned, also dependent on implementation details.

Absolutely, and that's why I posted the step-by-step to show that Photoshop will destroy the original data after the transformation is applied. I think we're in complete agreement of what makes for crappy implementations. And I do know that a lot functionality of ImageMagick can be exposed in different ways depending on the host program/UI.