Originally Posted By: DWallach
Okay, then. Amazon is selling the WD "Caviar Black" 1TB disks for $105.98. I've ordered two of those.

These are now down to $99.99 with free shipping. How did these work out for you?

My computer locked up during backups last night because of lack of disk space, so I guess it is time to upgrade. I am far from a hardware guru, so it is with some trepidation that I consider this.

I think the two drives that I want to replace are SATA drives, but I don't know how to tell for sure. Device Manager says they are: "MAXTOR S TM3320620AS SCSI Disk Device". I know for a certainty that they are not SCSI drives, but how can I tell if they are SATA?

Assuming they are SATA drives, is it then just a matter of removing the old drives, plugging in the data and power cables to the new drives and copying the data from my backups? (The replacement drives will be for my D: data storage drive and E: backup drive. My C: system drive is a separate small IDE drive.)

In the meantime I have gone through and cleaned up my existing drives so that hopefully I can re-run my backups tonight and not have them crash for lack of space.

tanstaafl.