Earlier today, my wife and I received the H1N1 vaccination "Arepanrix H1N1" from GSK (GlaxoSmithKline) here in Canada. This is the one with the adjuvant and the nasty preservatives.

This is the first vaccination we've ever had for any flu, and the only reason we had it administered is because we have an infant in the house and we're willing to take some risk to ourselves for the chance of not bringing in the virus.

I'm not sure how much longer I'll be able to keep posting. Maybe a few days, maybe a few weeks. I expect that within a month or so I'll be running the streets looking for flesh to eat. Maybe in around 28 days.

I do think that the media are blowing this flu way the hell out of proportion. If the way the medical community is in Canada is any indication of elsewhere, the numbers of infected persons is much lower than advertised. I've learned that here they're treating pretty much any flu or flu-like symptoms as if the person has H1Ni. Not sure if that's out of cautiousness or pure laziness. I'm inclined to go with laziness.

As an example, I found out last night from my sister-in-law that her niece "has H1N1" - so today my wife asks her if they've done a blood test or culture or anything to determine the strain and if it's even influenza. No. She's running fever and that's all the doctor needed to call it H1N1. Nice. I'm all for caution, but I think it's important to accurately identify whether the illness is caused by this virus.

I know a few companies that are going to bounce back remarkably from this global "financial crisis" we've been in. GSK... Novartis... Sanofi... Of course when we all turn to zombies and start eating each other, I'm sure the stock markets will crash. Their executives had better start cashing out and building bunkers - or a moon base.

Edited by hybrid8 (02/11/2009 18:52)