Originally Posted By: maczrool
Originally Posted By: tonyc
Quote:

It makes no sense to throw out something that the vast majority of US citizens are satisfied with

A vast majority are satisfied? Really?

Explain these poll results then.

I can only answer that with this which states that 68 percent of Americans like that care they now receive.

No, it states that 68 percent of Americans have insurance coverage that they rate good, or excellent.

I fall into that category, but only because I elected to go on COBRA, after losing my job, and the only reason I elected to go with COBRA is because the government subsidized it. (For the non-Americans, health insurance is typically provided as a benefit by employers. If you quit, or lose your job, the government stipulated that you have the option of continuing to carry that policy for a limited time, provided you pay the full premiums. Without the subsidy, I think the cost of our coverage under COBRA would come to just over $1000/month.) Come November, when my ability to be on COBRA goes away, I don't know what I'm going to do. I don't think I'll be able to continue to afford the insurance premiums on a similar policy. For what it's worth, I have no vision or dental coverage, either -- we dropped those due to cost.

So basically the way health care here works for us, is that we lose both sources of income within a month, and, because our health care was tied to our employer, get to enjoy a brand new (large) monthly bill. Obviously, we'll pay that with the money we're not earning now?

Am I satisfied with the care I receive? Yes, absolutely. The doctors we see are great. Am I satisfied with my insurance coverage? Mostly (see my above post about getting stuck with a $250 bill for three stitches). Am I satisfied with the coverage for how much I'm paying? Only because it's currently subsidized by the government. Am I satisfied with the US health system? Hell, no. Not even close.