Just wondering if anyone has any experience with any of the GPS devices capable of data logging available from Deal Extreme or other similarly (or lower) priced source?

I'm looking for a small battery powered device that I can activate and carry with me while out shooting photos. Later allowing me to dump the data back to a computer for parsing. Either USB or BlueTooth connection to the computer are fine as long as in the end I can get the data I need (directly or through conversion to GPX).

Primarily I shoot with a Nikon D300, but I don't have any desire to get Nikon's own proprietary GPS device which mounts to the hot-shoe and connects directly to the camera. For starters, its tagging is lower precision than the raw data commonly available from most GPS units.

Location data is in my opinion extremely important and valuable data to have with a photograph. Letting one obtain this information without having to remember, or manually record it and then manually input it into photos, is an enormous benefit to achieving this goal. It's a shame we're not seeing GPS built into every camera really. At least every camera where it would be easy to absorb the added cost.

There are a few devices on DealExtreme that may do the trick, but not all of them have reviews. If anyone has an experience with this, I'd love for you to share it.

Edited by hybrid8 (30/01/2010 19:16)