Sorry to hear that, Tom, though I think you'd find higher prices on Verizon if they had the EVO. On the other hand, they're the only carrier I know of that has a phone capable of tethering and officially don't charge for that (the Pre+), but the price would probably come out to about the same.

Like Bitt, I bought the Nexus One to have the feeling of being independent from my carrier. T-Mobile has no fingers in my phone, and I love that.

Tom, I think your search for an Android phone does indeed sound like it's over. If using data while you're on a call really is that important to you, then you can only go with a GSM carrier (is it possible to even do this on the EVO? I hadn't heard if their 4G implementation was capable of it). So that leaves AT&T and T-Mobile. AT&T completely f***s up their Android phones, so they're out. Personally, T-Mobile is just fine in my area, and I rarely leave my area, so the quality of the carriers is equal (and T-Mobile has better pricing), but that may not be true for you.

So that's about it. Is T-Mobile good in your area? Do you travel internationally very often (and take your phone with you)?