Originally Posted By: tonyc
Ultimately, I defer to your expertise on the issue, but your statement that it's 2x as much effort wasn't limited to the hardware aspects. I get what you're saying about having separate test teams, some duplication at the software level, and people to deal with regulatory crap, and I probably lowballed my 5% higher number, but I just can't see it being 100% higher. Maybe there's not as much shared as I thought, but is it true that there is zero shared?

We don't deal with hardware designs nearly as complex as the iPhone, but for us, even seemingly minor changes can introduce a massive workload in hardware design.

You know, when you're fitting in large pin count BGA devices into as tighter space as possible you make use of every single last space on the board as possible, even so much as adding a new resistor or changing swapping the functionality of a pin on the device can introduce days to weeks of work for the layout people.

In Hugos world things are even more amplified by having so many different requirements (certification, testing, manufacture etc).