Originally Posted By: tman
I guess its doing it based on rough location from visible WiFi APs looked up in something like the Google or Skyhook DB?
Right -- it uses the skyhook data.

What happens if you're in an area without WiFi or free WiFi? It just batches them all up automatically for when its next got internet access or do you need to tell it to go upload?

Yeah, it does a batch upload the next time you have wifi. I think there's a limit on the number of "private" wifi networks it can use (32 of them, IIRC) and then it can use public / free hotspots, and also any paid hotspot accounts you might have access to.

I didn't know that you could upload to your own server. That was one of the things that discouraged me from looking into the Eye-Fi cards as I always thought you had to use their service.

Yeah, me too -- I don't know if FTP is a relatively new addition, but I didn't remember seeing anything about it when I first heard about the cards. I'm leery of using plaintext FTP on public wifi networks, so I'm glad it supports FTPS as well.

Quote:
The Eye-Fi cards aren't available here in the UK but thats not too much of an issue to pick one up next time I'm over in the US. I'm just wondering whether it'd be worth me getting one since it probably won't have WiFi anywhere except at my home...

Yeah, like I said, the main thing for me is I don't have to yank the card out and pop it in my laptop to sync to my file server. That alone would be worth the price even if it only worked at home and didn't do any of the uploading on remote wifi networks. The fact that it does, and handles geotagging, makes it even more valuable.