Originally Posted By: JeffS
Originally Posted By: jimhogan
Originally Posted By: JeffS
[...] I still brag about this place to my Christian friends, though, and say what a great benefit those discussions have been to me in terms of understanding how other people with different beliefs think.

I agree that with a shrinking base.....

Jeff,

In the shrinking-base department, did you ever take djc up on his offer to fly to Texas on his own dime to have a dialogue about homosexuality?

I sent him a PM on the subject (though I'd never have let him pay for it), but he never responded.

Ah, I didn't know that you accepted and that he didn't follow through, so I should be less of a snit. At the time I thought it was a very generous and perhaps very brave offer on his part. It seemed like he really had a need to have that discussion, and I was disappointed that it didn't come off. Now *that* would been something to talk about with your friends.

Looking further down the thread, I hope that you don't feel like you offended *me* if that's what you were getting at. Depending on the phases of the moon, what I had for lunch, and the color of my mood ring, my contibutions here are, I'd say, a very, very mixed bag (see sig) from the intelligence, civility and overall value standpoint. I am thankful that I can usually rely on fairer folks like Doug to slap some of my bad karma upside the head and reflect more helpfully on questions such as yours.

Being a public employee (for the indefinite future), I don't get to read the BBS at work smile As I am getting older, I don't stay up as late and I type more slowly every passing day, so I will likely be a diminishing irritant here, but maybe moreso for bigger reasons, like being "done" with a lot of subjects. Like politics, religion, climate change, gun control, and a host of other things. That being said, I think Off Topic is totally precious and hope that anyone can ask anything forever.

Gee, I can be so much more circumspect when the Percocets start to kick in.*

Jim

*gall bladder getting the heave-ho in 2011

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.