Originally Posted By: hybrid8
Short answer in case you want to skip the rest: Connect the new monitor, it's going to work fine.
As usual, you are correct.

Once the new monitor was connected, I had the 1920x1080 resolution choice available. It is just a temporary hookup at the moment, as I am waiting for this to arrive. I am really going to enjoy the 50% increase in screen area (compared to my 22" monitor).

Hmmm... I notice the desktop icon spacing has increased proportionally to match the larger screen, now there are bigger gaps between them. Is this adjustable in Windows? I'll have to look. Oh, of course, how simple: Control Panel --> Personalization --> Window Color and Appearance --> Appearance Settings --> Windows Classic --> Advanced --> Desktop [dropdown box] --> Item [dropdown box] --> Icon Spacing Vertical --> [my setting]. How could I not have known that! smirk

So far the monitor looks OK. It didn't catch on fire when I plugged it in, so that's always a good start. (Back in my slave days (pre-retirement) at work we received six 15" CRT monitors from a well-known company that will remain unnamed (rhymes with freight bay) before we got one that worked. Two of them did catch fire when we plugged them in!)

tanstaafl.