Originally Posted By: Archeon
You are correct, but as said, I had no idea what type of SSD you bought. I'm pretty sure Crucial will follow soon with free disk cloning software though, since they seems to have become a minority under the SSD brands for not including it. That doesn't help you now of course, so I'm happy to hear you've already fixed your problem.

Yeah, sorry, I meant to say which brand I'd purchased. I thought you were listing the brands that offered free tools with their drives, and Crucial doesn't.

I fixed the issue, but it certainly wasn't a pleasant process! That much work shouldn't be necessary. I can honestly say that this is one area where OSX has Windows beat hands-down. With Tom's help, a while back I was able to clone my old Macbook onto a new SSD, and the process was painless. I'd even call it simple! Windows backup, on the other hand, just didn't work here, and I'm not sure why.

It's certainly an odd thing that Microsoft decided to make a separate boot partition as the standard for Windows 7 installations, at least the ones done from scratch. That's what made this whole process so difficult. Otherwise it would have been pretty easy too.