A friend who is a cabinet maker is building me a 13 foot wide media cabinet and bookcase to upgrade from our well aged Ikea Billy bookcases. An area where both of are weak is the AV cabling, and while I know we can do a good job, I'd like to take the opportunity to do a better job.

• Power and cables to behind TV. What are the better was of doing this? This is what we are currently planning to use.
  • Speakers: For now nothing fancy is planned, but in the future... Is putting an wall-plate of audio jacks in the media cabinet, and then output jacks at the future speaker locations all that is needed, and speaker wire. I also plan to run speaker wire into the basement so that rears can be added in the future.
  • Long HDMI run. What is the best way of running a ~50ft HDMI cable? The cabinet will have a hidden projector screen that can drop down, and the future projector will be hidden in the upper corner of the opposite wall. The basement is easily accessed. I've seen "active" HDMI cables for long runs, but I think these limit bandwidth, and I've seen HDMI over CAT cables. How best to do this now, or at least prep for it.
  • A UniFi InWall AC unit will be in the media cabinet, so two gigabit jacks and wifi are available to the room.
  • Is there anything I am not considering?

Edited by Phoenix42 (28/03/2020 19:23)