I know we've had a thread about this topic, and I'm going to go through that one too, but I'm hoping for some advice specific to my situation in order to learn more about this ARC and CEC stuff.

For the longest time, I've had the very typical "bunch of sources plugged into inputs on a receiver and then an output to a TV all controlled by a universal remote" setup. Harmony remote, to be specific. And at one point I had an Apple TV, Chromecast, Tivo, and bluray player all plugged into the receiver.

But we ONLY watch the Apple TV. And we cut the cord. And we keep getting HDCP errors despite everything in the chain being compatible (thanks, copy protection, for only hurting the people doing nothing wrong). For these reasons, I've REALLY wanted to change how it's all connected so that the Apple TV is plugged directly in the TV and the TV goes to the receiver only for audio. I'd like to retire the Harmony remote on my own terms and not Logitech's (RIP Harmony), and only use the Apple TV remote to turn everything on and off, like I do with my TV in the basement.

HOWEVER

We just bought a switch. Can I still retire my Harmony and just use the Apple TV remotes and the Switch Joycons to turn everything on and off? What sorts of problems will I have? How would I connect everything? Again, my preference is to plug the sources into the TV and not the receiver, reducing potential HDCP errors.

I'm particularly puzzled about which ports to use for the TV-to-receiver connection. Do I basically use the ARC ports on both devices, even though it's an output on the receiver and there won't be inputs on that?