Say all you want about SonicBlue and the RioCar, you have to remember that this is the same company that took the RIAA to the mat over the original Rio, creating the MP3 analog to the Betamax decision.

I don't think there's a soul at SonicBlue that didn't expect this suit, and wasn't prepared to defend it to the death from day one. Besides, the networks are wimps compared to RIAA and MPAA.

The networks don't have a leg to stand on regarding the 30-second skip, and I've always been disappointed with TiVo for caving on that one, workaround or not. Same for streaming recorded shows around your house (I have a modulator that puts whatever is coming out of my AV receiver on channel 88 for the rest of the TVs in the house...how is doing that over ethernet any different?).

But being able to send programs to your friends was clearly bear-baiting. They knew what they were doing, and I think this will be very interesting to watch over the coming months.

And yes, I'm in the queue for a Replay 4000. I have no problem paying the lawyers who are fighting the content cartels.
Mk.IIa #010101243 currently getting a 500GB SSD. More spares in the shed.