There was Billy Bass usage on the NBC show "ED" a little while back as well. I would hardly call that product placement. The same applies to its use in the Sopranos. If anything, the product was portrayed in a negative light both times.

When a product is an integral part of the script, I don't generally find it to be abusive of the passive trust people put in entertainment. Sticking non-related products where they don't belong, just as eye-candy is a different matter.

I don't think anyone on here would be complaining if it were Linus Torvalds on Frasier, would they?

Next thing you know people will be saying the stolen load of Armani suits in the Sopranos was also shameless product placement.

Oh and one key differentiating line between the Sopranos and the movie Castaway? The Sopranos, as entertainment is worth the celluloid it's filmed on. Though I will admit, Castaway makes an excellent special-effects demo reel.

Now don't get me started about how many Apple laptops and DFPs inappropriately appear in countless small and big screen productions...