Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#10133 - 28/06/2000 06:32 How does the tuner work again?
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
As a non-empeg-owner, I am unaware of how the tuner can be added later. Is it done without the usual stuff involved with an installation process?

DiGNAN

#10134 - 28/06/2000 06:34 Re: How does the tuner work again? [Re: Dignan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Forgive my additional ignorance, but what the heck are "views" as in the number of views for a particular topic?

DiGNAN

#10135 - 28/06/2000 06:42 Re: How does the tuner work again? [Re: Dignan]
Dearing
addict

Loc: Florida
1) The tuner will be a "block of metal", about 2-3" cubed, and can plug into the back of the Mk2 Sled from (I believe) the same wiring harness used to hook all the other leads up.
2) "Views" is how many times a thread has been...viewed by people.

_~= Dearing =~_
"WAY too happy about having #99."

#10136 - 28/06/2000 06:44 Re: How does the tuner work again? [Re: Dignan]
Jazzwire
addict

Loc: Guernsey
They are the number of times the thread has been viewed... I.e. it's like a page counter...

As to the tuner question, Mk1's had a built in tuner, so nobody had to install a separate one... =)

According to the info from empeg it will be another box that is plugged into the docking cage cables.

Jazz
(List 112, S/N 00030, 4 gig blue. Unit for sale, apply within)
Jazz (List 112, Mk2 42 gig #40. Mk1 4 gig #30. Mk3 1.6 16v)

#10137 - 28/06/2000 07:02 Re: How does the tuner work again? [Re: Jazzwire]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Okay, now I feel stupid

That's about what I understood of the the tuner. My question now would be what do you have to do to install that? Will I have to remove the docking cage? I'd rather not do that if I don't have to, but I guess there's no choice.

DiGNAN

#10138 - 28/06/2000 07:13 Re: How does the tuner work again? [Re: Dignan]
Jazzwire
addict

Loc: Guernsey
Note: I've never seen a mk2 cage, or a tuner module...

You'll have to get behind the dash in some way to connect the tuner...
Where I put my empeg, I can get behind the cage without removing it, so I could plug the tuner in that way...
So it's possible you'll have to remove the cage to get behind it...

I'll know more in a few days when my mk2 arrives... =)

Jazz
(List 112, Mk2 on order. Mk1 Unit for sale S/N 00030, 4 gig blue, apply within)
Jazz (List 112, Mk2 42 gig #40. Mk1 4 gig #30. Mk3 1.6 16v)

#10139 - 28/06/2000 07:27 Re: How does the tuner work again? [Re: Dignan]
teemcbee
addict

I think only the guys@empeg definitely know.

But I guess that you'll have to remove the slide-bay.
If you take a look at the back of the empeg here or here you can see that the Mk2 has only home powersupply, home RCA-jacks, USB, ethernet and serial and the docking connector.

The wiring for the tuner will be directly on the sled like the whole wiring for the power and the output and mic and everything else (ISO-connector), too. So there will be no other way than to remove the slidebay to connect the tuner. (Instead of reaching the back of the dash somehow - But I couldn't do that in any car I ever had or installed a car-hifi-unit. No space at all...)

But I think it's not too hard to do that. Don't worry too much about it.

TeeMcBee

#10140 - 28/06/2000 07:39 Re: How does the tuner work again? [Re: Dignan]
Henno
addict

Loc: Meije, Netherlands
Will I have to remove the docking cage?

Don't worry about removing the docking cage: bend the small lips out again (easily done with a screwdriver) and the docking cage will slide out easily.

Sliding it back in is the difficult part : The cabling at the back of the cage easily gets in the way, though Mark2 should be a bit easier. Sliding it back in only requires a bit of patience and a lot of cursing . . .

Henno
ex 00120
ready to score one of the 40

#10141 - 28/06/2000 08:15 Re: How does the tuner work again? [Re: Henno]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Personally I think that's not a fair thing to ask their customers to do, but since the tuner might be available by the time I *might* be able to buy my empeg, I'll be able to have the installer do it without "bending" and metal (which sounds just great).

DiGNAN

#10142 - 28/06/2000 08:25 Re: How does the tuner work again? [Re: Dignan]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Erm, it's not that big a job.. but you don't have to do it, you can simply wait until the tuner is available before ordering!

We felt that most of our clients would not appreciate that delay.

Rob

#10143 - 28/06/2000 09:08 Re: How does the tuner work again? [Re: Dignan]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Bending metal tabs is how the unit is installed - and how almost all (at least 95%) of car audio is installed too. Nothing magic about it :)

Hugo

#10144 - 28/06/2000 12:32 Re: How does the tuner work again? [Re: altman]
Alexander

Loc: SF Bay Area
Hrm, I kind of wanted to be able to listen to radio through the Empeg in the house.

Since my desk is really a $20 table from OfficeMax, I'm considering hacking a hole in it and installing a docking bay in it. Then I get power, audio, ethernet (yes, I know, might require some epoxy), and tuner by just sliding it into a dock in my desk. :)

Alex

#10145 - 28/06/2000 14:27 Re: How does the tuner work again? [Re: Alexander]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Since my desk is really a $20 table from OfficeMax, I'm considering hacking a hole in it and installing a docking bay in it.

Some folks have made their own in-home Empeg docking bays, and it does work. But before you go to the trouble, consider the following:

- It's not hard at all to plug the Empeg in and just set it on the desk. If you leave the cables there at the desk (and scrounge extra cables and power supplies for each location you want to listen to the Empeg), it's almost as easy as plugging it into a docking bay. And it doesn't require an extra bay or any sawing or anything.

- One of the nice thing about the Empeg is that it remembers different settings for home/car use. There are certain features of the software which behave differently depending on whether it's getting its power from the docking bay or the AC adaptor. If you plug the Empeg into a docking bay in the house, it thinks it's still in the car, so you don't get those separate home/car settings. An example of this is EQ presets: each preset has a "home" and a "car" personality. It's vital to me that I EQ the two locations differently, and it works like a charm.

#10146 - 29/06/2000 06:48 Re: How does the tuner work again? [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Yes but he said specifically taht he wanted to listen to the radio through the empeg in his house. I think that's alot of trouble to go through for radio but that's just my opinion.

Well anyway, thanks for the info on the tuner. I just didn't know how car audio components were installed, and the main reason I was upset was that my father doesn't want me doing any of this stuff myself on our brand new car, and if I were to get the tuner and it was after I allready had the thing installed, I'd be charged for the installation of this measley little tuner box.

Well, considering I might not even be able to buy an empeg at all if it's too late, I might not have to worry about it. I'll just wait and see how fast you finally get those parts in and empegs shipped out.

DiGNAN