Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#119832 - 09/10/2002 11:55 New BMW motorcycle TV Ad
morrisdl
enthusiast

Loc: Rochester, NY USA
Not sure how new it is actually. Since I got REPLAYTV, I havnt seen too many tv ads...but I caught this one and thought it was funny:

BMW TV AD

quality is poor, but you get the idea.

#119833 - 09/10/2002 13:55 Re: New BMW motorcycle TV Ad [Re: morrisdl]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Heh, nice. Not sure I'd be confortable doing that on my motorcycle, but still a cool ad

#119834 - 09/10/2002 14:38 Re: New BMW motorcycle TV Ad [Re: drakino]
Warp10

Loc: Germany
Maybe you would prefer doing something like this
(Attention: File size is about 6 MB)

cheers,
Thorsten

#119835 - 09/10/2002 15:20 Re: New BMW motorcycle TV Ad [Re: Warp10]
drakino
carpal tunnel

No, not yet :-)

I have been up to about 110 on my bike. As a rule, I always wear a full face helmet, armored leather jacket, decent leg protection, full foot and ankle boots, and armored gloves. If you notice, so many people in that video didn't have everything, and the aprts that wern't protected got badly injured. The one guy who destroyed his bike in the wheelie attempt came out fine, looked like he was wearing enough gear to allow him to still walk fine. The bike on the other hand...

The other reason for all that armor is everyone else on the road. Just in the past month alone, I've delt with 2 drivers simply not seeing me somehow. And I still need to replace my clutch handle after dropping my bike thanks to traffic that suddenly stopped, and a patch of mud from a street cleaner causing me to loose my footing.

Oh well, winter is coming, and this year to curb withdraw, I am going to be renting a snowmobile several times to use up at the cabin. No traffic or other idiots to worry about

#119836 - 09/10/2002 19:31 Re: New BMW motorcycle TV Ad [Re: drakino]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
    No ... other idiots to worry about.
Yup. Just yourself.

#119837 - 09/10/2002 20:03 Re: New BMW motorcycle TV Ad [Re: wfaulk]
drakino
carpal tunnel

No ... other idiots to worry about.

Yup. Just yourself.

Yep. Glad someone picked up on that :-)

#119838 - 10/10/2002 08:22 Re: New BMW motorcycle TV Ad [Re: Warp10]
BleachLPB
enthusiast

Loc: Maryland
MTV Jackass plus motorcycle stunts...

#119839 - 10/10/2002 15:44 Re: New BMW motorcycle TV Ad [Re: Warp10]
fusto
addict

Loc: Lummi Island, WA
That is some of the stupidest stuff I think I've ever seen anybody do on a motorcycle intentionally.
What a waste...

Is that why I'm paying through the nose to insure my bike here in MA?

Z~

#119840 - 11/10/2002 13:50 Re: New BMW motorcycle TV Ad [Re: Warp10]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
That's exactly the reason why my Mum and Dad would freak if got a motorbike. My Dad's a retired teacher and in the twenty years he spent at his last school he's had at least a dozen kids die before they reached the sixth form, almost all where killed on motorbikes and mopeds. The majority of accidents were the fault of other people.
A friend of mine lost her brother in a motorbike accident, so to see those blokes dicking around and coming a cropper reminds me of how stupid some people can be. It also reminds me of the purpose of the Darwin award...

Andy M

#119841 - 11/10/2002 23:50 Re: New BMW motorcycle TV Ad [Re: drakino]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Wow, met up with some other bikers today, and unfortunatly it wasn't under the best of circumstances. I had reached my turnaround point for the day (a nice overlook), and right as I was putting some gear back on, I heard motorcycles coming up the road. I finished putting on my gear, and headed out of the overlook area as 3 sporty bikes flew by. I kept up somewhat with them, but was unconfortable at their speeds, so I ended up falling behind. A few curves after they disappeared completly, I made a right curve, and had to be really careful, as my bike hit a patch of nasty dirt. After I recovered, I realised I has caught up to the group, as 2 were on the side of the road, and the 3rd guy had parked.

I stopped to offer any assitance, and managed to see what happened. The first guy in the group hit the same patch of dirt I did, lowsided the bike across the road and into a small ditch, then proceeded to slide a ways down the road. The second guy also hit the dirt, tried to stop, saw his friend crashing, and ended up going up and over the gas tank when the bike hit the soft deep dirt on the side of the road. By that time, a truck coming the other way pulled off to make sure they were ok, and the 3rd guy had arrived on the scene.

Damage to the first bike was the complete destruction of the plastics on the tight hand side, along with damage to the insturmant panal. We had to straighten it out so that the steering worked propery. Once we pulled his bike out of the ditch, we also discovered damage to the radiator, as he was leaking coolant.

The second bike came out much better, with only scratches to the plastics on the left side, and nothing broken.

Both riders? They came out with no physical injuries, beyond a sore spot or two. The first guys jacket has a few gashes into the leather, and his visor on the helmet is scraped up on the left side, from the slide down the asphalt. The second guy had no damage to his leathers, and only a few scratches on the helmet.

I rode with all 3 back down into the city, and they seemed fine. To me, it definitly proved the need for all the protection I wear when I head out. Had either one skimped out on a part of the protection, they wouldn't have ridden home on theor bikes.

Both were looking forward to the hot tub tonight