Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#12574 - 02/08/2000 06:18 Funny how things can suddenly make sense...
Geoff
enthusiast

Loc: Northern Ireland
Ever wonder if your empeg has anything in common with a bunch of old rocks and stone? No, neither did I until just today.

A couple of the names for the visuals had me wondering for a long time, but I never took much notice until I decided to do a quick search on the 'net, and then I discovered quite a few interesting connections...

The visuals in question? Hercynian, Grampian & Caledonian. Now, Grampian and Caledonian didn't bother me too much, as I knew Grampian was a region in Scotland, and Caledonia is the old name for Scotland, so I was thinking of a Scottish theme perhaps.

Not quite...

I looked up Hercynian eventually, to see what it meant, and got an Encyclopaedia Britannica reference to 'Hercynian orogenics'! Well, Orogenic Developments are behind Prolux, and hence Toby and the empeg visuals... result

It seems that Hercynian, Grampian and Caledonian all refer to Orogenic Phases (whatever they are when they're at home - that's my next search topic!)

Not only that, but 'Hercynian' apparently refers to the southwest of England, where Orogenics are based, and where empeg started out! Bingo...

So, 3 visuals link the empeg with prehistoric British geology...

I wonder what the visuals to get names like Cambrian, Ordovician, Silurian and Devonian will look like?

I think I learned something today...

Geoff
---- -------
Got one of the first Mark 2 empegs...
Mk2 Red - was 12GB, now 60GB

#12575 - 02/08/2000 07:46 Re: Funny how things can suddenly make sense... [Re: Geoff]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
It may be of interest to note that Toby has just finished a degree course in Geology... :)

Hugo

#12576 - 02/08/2000 10:25 Re: Funny how things can suddenly make sense... [Re: altman]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
One can only imagine how many other inside joke-type gags are implemented into the empeg

DiGNAN

#12577 - 05/08/2000 06:02 Re: Funny how things can suddenly make sense... [Re: Geoff]
prolux

Loc: Manchester, UK
Geoff,

You must be a detective - Most of the visuals are fairly obviously named, but the three that you have picked out probably have the most abstract name derivation of all the visuals on the empeg.

An orogeny or orogenic episode is a period of uplift of the earths crust, or mountain building. This occurs when the tectonic plates that make up the surface of the planet are forced together as two continents collide. For example, the Alps were formed during the Alpine orogeny. The orogeny doesn't usually have the same name as the mountains formed by it, this is because some mountain belts can be reactivated by later orogenic episodes, and thus the word orogeny refers to specific period of tectonic uplift, not the uplifted area.

You also spotted my trick that was supposed to catch people out by making them think that the suite of visuals are named after tartans as two of the orogenies named are associated with tectonic uplift in Scotland - And you even spotted the South West of England association (although the Hercynian orogeny is also associated with uplift in other parts of Europe (NW Spain))

I'll now be forced to use more cunning and abstract names in the future.

What this space!
Toby

#12578 - 05/08/2000 09:10 Re: Funny how things can suddenly make sense... [Re: prolux]
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
In reply to:

I'll now be forced to use more cunning and abstract names in the future.

Hmm.. have you guys finished the greek font yet? if so, time to break out the greek dictionary:)
-m

...proud to have owned one of the first Mark I units

#12579 - 05/08/2000 09:12 Re: Funny how things can suddenly make sense... [Re: dionysus]
Geoff
enthusiast

Loc: Northern Ireland
In reply to:

Hmm.. have you guys finished the greek font yet? if so, time to break out the greek dictionary:)

Will that mean Rob has to start work on a Greek Site

(I can't believe I said that!)

Geoff
---- -------
Got one of the first Mark 2 empegs...

Mk2 Red - was 12GB, now 60GB

#12580 - 05/08/2000 09:19 Re: Funny how things can suddenly make sense... [Re: Geoff]
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Yeah Rob, we want the site translated to at least 16 different languages by Thursday... and NO bablefish:)

-mark
ps - what ever happened to that German site clone?

...proud to have owned one of the first Mark I units

#12581 - 05/08/2000 09:23 Re: Funny how things can suddenly make sense... [Re: Geoff]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Will that mean Rob has to start work on a Greek Site? (I can't believe I said that!)

Yeah, then people would stumble across it while they were Roman around the 'net. (ow.)

#12582 - 05/08/2000 16:42 Re: Funny how things can suddenly make sense... [Re: dionysus]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
> Yeah Rob, we want the site translated to at least 16 different languages

It has occured that we're a little English-centric right now. We're certainly going to look into getting a few translations in the not too distant future.

> what ever happened to that German site clone?

Our solicitor sent them a letter asking them to go away - they obliged. Maybe we should have borrowed their translations before they closed down :-)

Rob

#12583 - 05/08/2000 19:02 Re: Funny how things can suddenly make sense... [Re: rob]
TommyE
enthusiast

Loc: NORWAY
How about naming one of the visuals "Bragernesaasen"???

I thinhk this would be a great name as I'm drunk right now.

TommyE