Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#157375 - 27/04/2003 07:27 Judge: File-swapping tools are legal
Anonymous
Unregistered

#157376 - 27/04/2003 08:33 Re: Judge: File-swapping tools are legal [Re: ]
kswish0
enthusiast

Loc: Virginia, USA
If upheld, the decision could lead artists, record labels and movie studios to cast new legal strategies that they have until now been reluctant to try, including bringing lawsuits against individuals who copy unauthorized works over Napster-like networks.
This could cause a whole lot of people to become very unhappy.

#157377 - 27/04/2003 11:11 Re: Judge: File-swapping tools are legal [Re: kswish0]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
including bringing lawsuits against individuals who copy unauthorized works

Sounds fair to me. That's what the copyright laws are supposed to prevent anyway. Going after the networks is akin to suing hardware stores because burglars use tools.

#157378 - 27/04/2003 11:11 Re: Judge: File-swapping tools are legal [Re: kswish0]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
If upheld, the decision could lead artists, record labels and movie studios to cast new legal strategies that they have until now been reluctant to try, including bringing lawsuits against individuals who copy unauthorized works over Napster-like networks.

Yeah. Mostly RIAA and MPAA people. It's easier for them to target a single point of distribution. What they've been trying to do is tantamount to shutting down an entire fleamarket because some people at the fleamarket are selling pirated items, never mind the fact that there are also a lot of people at the fleamarket *not* selling pirated items.

#157379 - 27/04/2003 16:33 Re: Judge: File-swapping tools are legal [Re: canuckInOR]
tman
carpal tunnel

Not so sure about the "a lot of people at the fleamarket not selling pirated items" part though. Nearly everybody I've met that uses a P2P client like Gnutella/iMesh/KaZaa/Hotline uses it mainly to download illegal content. There is even suspicious content on BitTorrent as well. There are quite a few sites out there that put encoded movies and tv series episodes onto it.

The problem is that everybody "knows" that you can get free movies/music/whatever off P2P networks now. Even completely computer illiterate people know that you just need to get Kazaa and download away. They don't seem to think that they're doing anything illegal. And if they do know they're doing something illegal then they think that they won't be caught since there are so many other people out there doing it.

- Trevor

#157380 - 27/04/2003 17:46 Re: Judge: File-swapping tools are legal [Re: tman]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
The only thing I've ever used a P2P thingie for was downloading the RedHat9 iso files before general release. And, yes, I left it on (and open through my firewall) overnight for three others to pinch them from me in return.

Nothing illegal there.

Cheers

#157381 - 27/04/2003 19:45 Re: Judge: File-swapping tools are legal [Re: mlord]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I still use P2P in this way.

I have also used it in the way that most of the illegal users justify it. For example, I recently felt like I should listen to more Cheap Trick. The only local record store sells $20 CD's, so I downloaded a few albums until I could get out to Best Buy to pick up a copy.

Actually, my primary use of P2P programs has shifted, but I can still use the same justifications. I now download entire series of TV shows. I actually don't do it just to get them for free, I do it because I tend to get addicted to a show, and don't want to pick up the story mid-way. So, especially for a show that is aired in order, I download the ones that have been passed, and I start watching the TV episodes when they air. Otherwise, I would skip the show entirely, and they'd lose any chance of my possibly stopping Tivo to watch a paid advertisement

#157382 - 27/04/2003 22:55 Re: Judge: File-swapping tools are legal [Re: mlord]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Those, and lots of .shn files -- live recordings (some taped directly off the sound board) that are made available with the band's permission. Very legal, and accounts for probably half the content on my Empeg.

#157383 - 28/04/2003 00:57 Re: Judge: File-swapping tools are legal [Re: canuckInOR]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Up to now, I have only used any P2P tools for three things - downloading ISO files of Linux distros, grabbing tracks off an album before purchasing - to ensure I like at least 4, and instead of ripping all my tapes and LP's to mp3 (it was taking too long) I just grabbed them from Kazaa.

So one legal use, one a bit iffy, but ending up with me buying more CD's - so keeping the RIAA happy anyway, and one probably legal use (depending on jurisdiction, I guess)
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#157384 - 28/04/2003 02:17 Re: Judge: File-swapping tools are legal [Re: frog51]
tman
carpal tunnel

In the beginning I did try grabbing MP3s off P2P networks instead of encoding it myself but I found the quality of the encoding/ripping to be lacking in 90% of the files. So I just had to scrap it all and start over myself and do it properly.

I do use BitTorrent occasionally when I need to download an ISO and usually I left leave it running for a few days afterwards.

- Trevor

#157385 - 28/04/2003 02:59 Re: Judge: File-swapping tools are legal [Re: kswish0]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Unhappy voters are a prerequisite for reform. Let's just hope there are enough of them.

Peter