Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#167210 - 23/06/2003 14:24 Removing duplicate songs
TheAmigo
enthusiast

I read the FAQ entry, but I still have a question.

I have many playlists on my PC (it's been my music server for many years prior to me owning an empeg). When I drag a .m3u into emplode, it works great (playlist preserved, songs get uploaded, etc).

The problem is that I have many overlapping playlists. A given song may appear on a playlist for a movie soundtrack, an album release and a personal favorites list. When this happens, the song gets uploaded to the player multiple times and wastes disk space.

If I use Emplode to make playlists, it works fine, but I don't want to have to re-make every playlist I have in Emplode. Not to mention having to maintain two sets of playlists.

Is there some way to get Emplode to recognize that two songs with the same path and filename are the same song?

Caveat: I last sync'd my player using 2.0b11. If it's fixed in 2.0 and I just need to clear out the player and start over, I'll gladly do that. I just don't want to spend all that time if it's not going to help.

#167211 - 23/06/2003 14:30 Re: Removing duplicate songs [Re: TheAmigo]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
I have a similar problem to this that causes my initial uploads to all be duplicates. My method used to be "copy album from explorer, paste into album list, then paste into artist list, sorting as necessary". Logicaly, I figured pasting the exact same file twice within the same session would cause it to be uploaded once, but no. I realize the dificulties of detecting duplicates across syncs, but uploading the same path/filename twice in the same session really should qualify as a bug, not a design decision.

Matthew

#167212 - 23/06/2003 15:37 Re: Removing duplicate songs [Re: TheAmigo]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Is there some way to get Emplode to recognize that two songs with the same path and filename are the same song?
Yes, don't use M3U files, use folders. Like here.

Unfortunately, it still requires that you do all your "personal mood playlist" editing in Emplode. I do this, and keep CSV backups of the playlists.

(Interesting trick. Did you know that when you copy a playlist to the clipboard in Emplode, it's in CSV format when you paste it into a text editor?)

A given song may appear on a playlist for a movie soundtrack, an album release and a personal favorites list.
For the movie soundtrack cases, you can:

a) Hand-edit each of the songs so that they're tagged, named, and foldered as their originial artist/albums and not as their soundtrack names. Then there's never any confusion.

b) Say screw it and just let there be duplicates in those few cases.

c) Delete the ones from the soundtrack albums where you've already got the original album.