Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#179810 - 18/09/2003 00:08 Anime stores
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I've recently gotten into a few anime shows. Now I want to buy the DVDs, but it turns out that the US production companies are into extortion. If you can even find a place that sells your show, it'll cost some insane price for a single DVD with a few episodes on it.

I'm currently most into Inuyasha (I've gotten into anime via Cartoon Network). A little visit to Best Buy and all I saw was a single DVD with episodes 10 through 12 for $20. Considering the eventual release of over 120 episodes in the US, I'm not really up to buying 40 DVDs for $800.

I would think there was a better way, but I've also looked into buying Dragonball and Dragonball Z on DVD, and all totaled that would cost several times that much.

So does anyone know where I can find better prices on these DVDs?

(Oh, and while I took Japanese for five years, I suck at it, so I'm looking for English dubs)

#179811 - 18/09/2003 00:22 Re: Anime stores [Re: Dignan]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I have though about buying some of these too but they are so damn expensive when they put like two episodes on a disk.

Did you see FLCL ? I think I might get that one on DVD since there are only three disks I also want to get the sound tracks.

Matt

#179812 - 18/09/2003 16:15 Re: Anime stores [Re: Dignan]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Anime in general has always been expensive. It's now cheeper on DVD typicially over VHS, due to having both English and Japaneese voices on them, instead of having to get both. There are a few series that I actually prefer the English voices.

Anyhow, if you find a cheep source, let us know, as I would definitly be interested.

#179813 - 18/09/2003 16:18 Re: Anime stores [Re: Dignan]
visuvius
addict

I work part time at DVDplanet.com, and although I don't really buy DVD's, I know our prices are a bit cheaper than the stores (although we charge for shipping -- this will change soon.). We also have a TON of anime.

Here's the search results for Inu-Yasha DVD's. We have pretty much all the Dragonball stuff as well, including box sets.