Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#18071 - 18/09/2000 23:25 New PaulWay Mix available
PaulWay
addict

Loc: Canberra, Australia
Well, I've got a fair way into a new mix and I thought people might like to try it out. This is my "Dance Club" mix - not necessarily what people are playing in Rennaisance and Gatecrasher these days, but a few tunes I like that fit the club scene more than my other stuff.

This mix is not really finished - I'm aiming for a CD-length mix like the last one - but I'm letting it out to stretch its wings and see what people think. I'm also still wrestling with my MP3 database, trying to get it work with the (temperamental) beat counter software I have so I can include BPM readings in my my whole collection. This means I'm not able to pick from the full range of stuff I have, so I might be rearranging or adding to this mix later.

The current mix is called "PaulWay Club Mix 1a.mp3" and is encoded at Normal mode VBR (i.e. quality setting 4) in LAME. I have full confidence that what LAME can produce by producing slightly-over 128kbit VBR is superior to AudioCatalyst. But of course let me know if you hear any compression artifacts. You can mail me on paulway@earthling.net.

I've recently got a cable modem and can now offer these files on my own rather than using someone else's facilities. This also allows me to put my entire catalogue here for people to browse. So you can get them a couple of ways:

You can use Napster - search for "PaulWay".

You can use FTP to connect to 203.164.137.42 (it has some horrible DNS name so I won't go into it). The server supports both passive and active connections, and resumable downloads, so those with slow connections might like to use GetRight for this.

As always, email is welcome on any aspect of the mix(es) you want to talk about. I look forward to hearing from you!

Save the whales. Feed the hungry. Free the mallocs.

#18072 - 21/09/2000 00:02 Re: New PaulWay Mix available [Re: PaulWay]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
Cool, grabbing it as we speak. Although I miss the connection you where using before as I am only getting about 12k/sec :-(

As a suggestion, can you make the songlists available via ftp as well?

-Mike

#18073 - 21/09/2000 15:07 Re: New PaulWay Mix available [Re: mcomb]
PaulWay
addict

Loc: Canberra, Australia
At the moment I'm not wishing to give it the treatment I have for my other finished songs, because I don't think it's finished. In fact, I listened to it yesterday and I was actually quite unimpressed - I thought the mix quality was bad and the choice of songs was inept (they didn't blend well together). I'm considering scrapping the whole thing and starting again; once I get my MP3 BPM database up to scratch this may change (i.e. then I don't have to go by memory of what songs I have that might be in that BPM range).

The track listing so far is:

1) Sash - Mysterious Times
2) Melodie MC - Feel Your Body Movin'
3) Blu Peter - Blue Air
4) Ege Bam Yasi - Variation
5) SJ - I Feel Divine
6) Way Out West - Domination
7) William Orbit - Barber's Adagio for Strings
8) Antiloop - I Believe
9) BT - Mercury and Solace
10) Jam and Spoon - Right In The Night
11) SJ - Shiver
12) Paul Van Dyk - For An Angel

Incidentally, one of those songs I only have an MP3 for - i.e. no CD audio to take it from. I had to expand it with WinAmp and then put it in the mix. A "Get Out Of Dope Slap Free" card to anyone that spots it - not that I think it's very difficult.

Stay tuned for more announcements.

Save the whales. Feed the hungry. Free the mallocs.