Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#188145 - 05/11/2003 09:45 The Reagans
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Ok, I’ve just read about three articles of people complaining about CBS moving “The Reagans” to Showtime, blaming it on cowardice, corporate greed, and a 1st amendment violation.

Now I understand how frustrating it is to get backlash against a project simply because of the political leanings of an actor, especially when the people being critical haven’t read the script. I agree that’s a little political; people should probably wait to air their issues until they have something to really complain about. And for the record I’m not a huge Regan fan, though as most of you probably know I do lean toward the right on issues.

However, blaming CBS for pulling the show just seems silly. Saying that they are “only interested in the bottom line” is a true statement, but I don’t see why it’s such a bad thing. That’s why CBS exists, right? To make money? And there’s not much upside to ticking a bunch of people off, liberal, conservative, or anything else. Saying that TV shouldn’t pander to the masses just seems silly to me. Anyone who’s watch ANY TV should know that’s exactly what TV does, as does music and film. It’s their business. We may not like it, but then no ones forcing us to watch either.

And then making comments like “What matters is that a major media company chose profits over the First Amendment.” I really don’t get that at all. In what world is it the medias job to protect our First amendment rights? The First amendment doesn’t say that the media can’t restrict what it says or shows, only that the government can’t regulate what we say. How is CBS pulling a show having anything to do with the government regulation of speech?

It seems to me that given the obvious backlash against the show, CBS was probably making a rather prudent business decision. If I thought I’d alienate half my viewers by putting a show out, regardless of how true it was I’d probably pull it too.

Edited because I can't spell.

Edited by FerretBoy (05/11/2003 09:51)

#188146 - 05/11/2003 13:04 Re: The Reagans [Re: JeffS]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

On the flip side, this could draw more viewers to Showtime. There's nothing that makes something quite so popular as somebody else trying to censor it. Normally, I would never be bothered to watch a movie about Reagan, but now I want to see what all the fuss is about.

#188147 - 05/11/2003 13:20 Re: The Reagans [Re: DWallach]
m6400

Loc: Erie, PA
Proving it is just an elaborate media hoax to bring in more money. : )

Joking aside, I think you hit the nail on the head Jeff. I was wondering just what all the fuss was about myself.

I certiantly would like the media to be completly fair and unbiased. While we're at it, I would like a couple million dollars, a porshe, a BMW (why yes, I do have german ancestors), and a finished college education.

#188148 - 05/11/2003 13:48 Re: The Reagans [Re: JeffS]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Saying that TV shouldn’t pander to the masses
Yeah but this is an example of TV pandering to the few. The main issue, as I understand it, was a disagreement over how Reagan is portrayed in relation to his view of people with AIDS, along with some other quibbles about the general characterization of the former president. The thing is, CBS knows their target audience, and knows what makes them money, and they were willing to run the show. Only after a few conservative groups started swarming in and putting pressure on them and their advertisers did they back off.

And before anyone labels me a hypocrite, if it were Jimmy Carter and a bunch of liberal groups instead of Reagan and the right-wings, I would have the same opinion. I hate when any small group that represents a fraction of the population's views goes overboard with an issue like this. I know it's the network's right to do what they want, but the fact that these kind of strongarm tactics are used enrages me more than the underlying issue.

All that being said, drawing the First Ammendment into the conversation is complete bunk. The person who said that is just as much of an idiot as the people who brought about this change.