Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#201034 - 28/01/2004 12:28 Post office issues and tuner shipments
pca
old hand

Loc: UK
Hi.

I posted a load of tuner kits today, because the post office is now open again. They should have gone out on Saturday but it was closed, I thought for carpeting or something like that judging from what I could see through the windows.

As it turns out, the reason it was closed was that it was robbed! A pair of miscreants jumped the postmaster and his wife early on saturday morning, tied them up, and emptied the safe. Not nice.

Anyway, when the various people receive their kits give a moment's thought to the staff at the post office who really didn't deserve such treatment.

pca

#201035 - 28/01/2004 12:37 Re: Post office issues and tuner shipments [Re: pca]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Too bad you don't live in Cambridge. I just read that there's no crime there.

#201036 - 28/01/2004 21:52 Re: Post office issues and tuner shipments [Re: pca]
JrFaust

Loc: New Richmond, WI
That's really low to rob a post office. Lets all think about those that give with out asking. I mean how low does one need to get to rob, let alone rob a post office. I feel sorry for those that feel the need to rob such a place and even worse for those that work in such a place.

All I can say is wow that's low, and I'm sorry.

Later
Rob

#201037 - 29/01/2004 03:39 Re: Post office issues and tuner shipments [Re: JrFaust]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
Over here the post office distributes pensions and benefits so they usually have large amounts of cash on certain days and are a popular target. Unfortunately a lot of them are run by older people so it's an easy target, even if they have time-delay safes and strong doors etc.

Gareth

#201038 - 29/01/2004 04:04 Re: Post office issues and tuner shipments [Re: g_attrill]
furtive
old hand

Loc: London, UK
The post office in the village where I grew up was held up twice in 2 months. By the same people. They finally got the message and fitted CCTV

#201039 - 29/01/2004 06:28 Re: Post office issues and tuner shipments [Re: furtive]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
Hopefully the new "direct payment" thing will help. I can't see the logic of OAPs taking all their pension in cash the same day every week. Some collect the pensions for half a dozen friends at the same time and walk out with over a thousand pounds in their bags. I think banks should really try harder at convicing them that they should pay for groceries with a debit card and draw a small amount of cash at the post office when they need to, or use an ATM if they feel confident.

Last week I was posting a parcel and an woman of nearly 90 was at the counter in front of me and took out £3,500 in cash from her purse and paid it into a savings account. She dumped it on the counter and had to feed under in batches. Quite why she had that much cash and felt the need to pay it into her account in on go I don't know!

Gareth