Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#207304 - 27/02/2004 00:34 A quick ebay rant.
fishmonger
stranger

Loc: /home/fish
Sigh. I was bidding on an empeg and tuner combo deal, seen here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18798&item=3079003060&sspagename=rvi%3A1%3A1

I watched that auction for the last 30 minutes, prepared to fend off any comers ... and then two bots come in, with 3 and 4 seconds left, and outbid me. This happens every time. EVERY time.

This really sucks for the guy selling, because I was prepared to go much higher - but the chaps bidding in that last 3 seconds force the auction to pretty much a premature end, causing the guy to not make as much as he would have if bots weren't available.

Sigh, guess I'm really just pissed about missing out on the empeg and tuner. Good for them, bad for me. Guess I should have just put in the top end of where I was willing to go.

Won't be a next time. That's the last time I waste any effort on that site.

#207305 - 27/02/2004 00:43 Re: An quick ebay rant. [Re: fishmonger]
ninti
old hand

Loc: Los Angeles
> This really sucks for the guy selling, because I was prepared to go much higher

Then why didn't you bid that amount then? Put how much you are willing to pay for it, and then if a bot beats you, know that they either wanted it more or are clueless and paid too much for it.

#207306 - 27/02/2004 00:51 Re: An quick ebay rant. [Re: fishmonger]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Guess I should have just put in the top end of where I was willing to go.

Yep. I used to hate snipers until I did just this. It also has the advantage that I'm note valueing the item in the heat of the moment. If I get outbid - so be it. The other bidder obviously valued the item more than I did, or has more money than sense.

#207307 - 27/02/2004 00:56 Re: An quick ebay rant. [Re: fishmonger]
brendanhoar
enthusiast

For what it's worth, I always bid-snipe*. No bots, I do it by hand.

Sometimes I miss my window. I guess there's nothing I really need all that much, though. I just don't see the point in engaging in a bidding war. Might be better for the seller, but not for my pocketbook.

"Don't hate me because I'm tricky",
-brendan

*well, technically, I "buy-it-now" a lot when I really want it.

#207308 - 27/02/2004 03:08 Re: An quick ebay rant. [Re: ninti]
fishmonger
stranger

Loc: /home/fish
In reply to:

Then why didn't you bid that amount then?

I think I can safely claim stupidity here. I had some sort of illusion that I was somehow keeping the price lower by not bidding all the way up. Now that I ponder this I see the hilarity of it, but before ... I guess I just had not put that much thought into it. :/

#207309 - 27/02/2004 03:55 Re: An quick ebay rant. [Re: fishmonger]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
All sniping does is hide the fact that there is an interested bidder out there - you are hoping that the current bidder doesn't have their maximum price in the proxy bid system and don't want to give them a chance to revise their bid.

If you do snipe, make sure you put a reasonable price in - I have seen a sniper pay $500 for a $100 item because the current bidder had a large proxy bid to deter snipers!

Gareth

#207310 - 27/02/2004 05:34 Re: An quick ebay rant. [Re: fishmonger]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
The final price of items *does* tend to be much lower if bidders withold their bids until the last minute. The problem with eBay is that a lot of people treat it like a competition and raise their max bids beyond the true value of the item if someone outbids them (it's an easy mistake to make, I've done it myself). It is best to minimise their window of opportunity.

I've never won an auction in which I have entered my max bid days before the close. On the other hand I've won about 35 auctions by entering my max bid 1 minute before the close. I think the key thing there, to avoid getting sniped by a bot, is to enter your MAX bid at the last minute so eBay will fight it out on your behalf in the closing seconds.

Rob

#207311 - 27/02/2004 08:20 Re: An quick ebay rant. [Re: g_attrill]
brendanhoar
enthusiast

Gareth - I'm not sure I agree with you on two points:

1) sniping does more than hide the fact of an interested bidder...for every sniper, it "cools" the auction a bit. What do you really think the Watch List is for?

2) Someone who makes a $500 bid for a $100 item is just a plain idiot, sniper or not.

-brendan

#207312 - 27/02/2004 11:29 Re: A quick ebay rant. [Re: fishmonger]
davec
old hand

Loc: Georgetown, TX USA
I was gonna try to snipe that combo for $700, but my damned DSL is down @ home, (forever apparently) and I wasn't willing to stay at work until midnight to do it. I won't use sniping services, sniping is fun. If I did want it that badly, I'd have bid early, but apparently I didn't...

#207313 - 27/02/2004 12:45 Re: A quick ebay rant. [Re: fishmonger]
siberia37
old hand

Loc: Tacoma,WA
If you ever come to the dark side- the best way to snipe is:
JBidWatcher
cool little program and free.

#207314 - 27/02/2004 16:27 Re: A quick ebay rant. [Re: fishmonger]
AndrewT
old hand

Loc: Oxford, UK
My company used to run its own auction site and it had a neat feature (from the seller's prespective) to help prevent sniping; if a bid was placed within the last 10-minutes, the auction would be extended by a further 10-minutes. This would happen repeatedly until the bidding stopped.

#207315 - 27/02/2004 16:34 Re: A quick ebay rant. [Re: AndrewT]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
That totally makes sense, but it's not in eBay's interests to do that.

#207316 - 27/02/2004 16:35 Re: A quick ebay rant. [Re: wfaulk]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I just found this page on why sniping is good and methods to avoid it are bad, and I've never seen more half-baked pseudo-explanations in my life.

#207317 - 27/02/2004 17:58 Re: An quick ebay rant. [Re: rob]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Yup, last-second bidding is the way to go (for buyers).

I've only ever particpated in one auction on eBay, and won it with a carefully considered bid in the final 3 seconds (and I'm very happy that they also synchronise their time-of-day clock with a known-good reference server!).

I bid exactly the maximum I wanted to pay, which happened to be about $200 higher than what the item sold (to me) for in the end. But the final price was also about $150 higher than the previous maximum displayed bid before I hit the send key.

Had I bid earlier, the slow-but-steady crowd would likely have run the price up to way above my max bid -- better for the seller, but not for me.

cheers

Edited by mlord (27/02/2004 18:00)

#207318 - 27/02/2004 20:10 Re: A quick ebay rant. [Re: wfaulk]
AndrewT
old hand

but it's not in eBay's interests to do that.

This has always baffled me about eBay, can you share your reasoning here? My viewpoint is that a higher final selling price wins eBay a bigger commission on the item sold; I can't see how they gain by not addressing sniping.

#207319 - 27/02/2004 20:33 Re: A quick ebay rant. [Re: AndrewT]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Sniping, especially if there are multiple snipers, will still raise the auction to the highest price offered from all of the bidders. It does not matter to them if all of the bids come in during the last three seconds for throughout the full auction duration. The result is the same - the highest bid (and commission) wins.

#207320 - 27/02/2004 20:37 Re: A quick ebay rant. [Re: AndrewT]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
the auction would be extended by a further 10-minutes. This would happen repeatedly until the bidding stopped.

I don't care for that strategy -- as a seller or a buyer. If I'm selling, I want the damn thing to be sold, over and done with, not dragged out for hours or days. As a buyer, I don't want to have to stay up all night waiting for the auction to close.

Here's a better way: When an auction is placed, the end-of-auction time will be (for instance) 2:45 pm on whatever the end day is-- plus or minus 15 minutes.

So it might end as early as 2:30, or as late as 3:00, or anyplace in between, and no telling when. So the 'bots would all have to place their bids at 2:29:55, and the snipers who liked to live on the edge would try and guess how far they could push the window before it closed, and the people who really wanted the item would just put their maximum bid in at 2:28 and let it ride.

I think it would work, and would lend some interest and excitement to the auctions as well.

tanstaafl.

Edited by tanstaafl. (27/02/2004 20:55)

#207321 - 27/02/2004 20:53 Re: A quick ebay rant. [Re: tanstaafl.]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

The real correct way to do it is to require authentication of your individuality and let you bid only once.

Or don't show what the bids are until the auction closes.

The problem is that they're mixing multiple types of auctioning together and it doesn't work well.

#207322 - 27/02/2004 21:15 Re: A quick ebay rant. [Re: AndrewT]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

As Paul points out, if all bidders were intelligent and just bidded their max amount, even if they all did it at the end of the auction, eBay (and the seller) would not lose any money because of it. Spending development time to combat this non-problem would cost money and gain eBay nothing.

But sniping actually improves the seller's take, and, therefore, eBay's because people get caught up in the heat of battle and keep saying "I can bid just a few dollars more" and end up bidding more than they would have if they were asked to choose a single maximum amount.

You can argue that sniping is a bad thing, as I would, but eBay doesn't see it that way. It can do nothing except increase the winning bid amount. If it increases, eBay gets more money. So why would they want to fix a problem that actually generates more revenue for them?

Now you can argue that the bidders find it unfair, as they do and as they should. (I actually think that the problem lies not with sniping but the associated problem of being allowed to rebid.) eBay might want to fix the problem in order to ameliorate the bidders. But what would that gain them? More bidders? eBay is not at a loss for bidders. Also, sellers would rather sell at a site that can get them more money, and since sniping creates the possibility of higher profits, they'd rather have sniping enabled. If they were to offer snipeless auctions, what sane seller would want to choose it? Going to another site that offered it will have the additional problem of fewer bidders.

If eBay wasn't a virtual monopoly in the online auction world, we might see some improvements, but no one else has even come close to matching them, and, at this point, in order for one to do so, it'll have to offer snipeful auctions in order to draw sellers. After all, if there's nothing to be sold, the bidders won't come, even if the auctioning is better.

The only solution I can see at this time is governmental interference. And I can't imagine many people would be in favor of that.

#207323 - 27/02/2004 21:32 Re: A quick ebay rant. [Re: pgrzelak]
brendanhoar
enthusiast

> Sniping, especially if there are multiple snipers, will still
> raise the auction to the highest price offered from all of the
> bidders. It does not matter to them if all of the bids come in
> during the last three seconds for throughout the full auction
> duration. The result is the same - the highest bid (and
> commission) wins.

This assumes "reasonable" behavior by non snipers. As mentioned earlier in the thread, some people put ridiculous bids in. Some of the people put the ridiculous bids in on their 3rd or 4th bid only, due to the "gambling mentality". I'd prefer not to press their buttons and cause the price of the auction to get out of reach of anyone who wants to use ebay to pay *less* than retail.

-brendan

#207324 - 27/02/2004 21:33 Re: A quick ebay rant. [Re: AndrewT]
brendanhoar
enthusiast

> My company used to run its own auction site and it had a
> neat feature (from the seller's prespective) to help prevent
> sniping

...that sounds a heck of a lot like Onsale's bidding engine...

-brendan

#207325 - 27/02/2004 22:09 Re: A quick ebay rant. [Re: wfaulk]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
But sniping actually improves the seller's take, and, therefore, eBay's because people get caught up in the heat of battle
Err.. no, the idea of sniping is to bid at the last possible instant, so there is no heat of battle to get caught up in -- no time for back and forth counter bids.

Cheers

#207326 - 27/02/2004 22:20 Re: A quick ebay rant. [Re: brendanhoar]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
...that sounds a heck of a lot like Onsale's bidding engine...
And look where it got them... Another example of where an inferior technology won out due to better marketing.

#207327 - 28/02/2004 05:03 Re: A quick ebay rant. [Re: brendanhoar]
AndrewT
old hand

that sounds a heck of a lot like Onsale's bidding engine

No, it was the Fairmarket (R.I.P.) platform that we used to use (until they got bought out by eBay!).

#207328 - 29/02/2004 12:18 Re: A quick ebay rant. [Re: mlord]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Okay, that was poorly stated, I'll give you. The ability to rebid actually causes that "artificial" increase. Sniping exists to avoid that. The problem is that the snipers are trying to avoid anyone bidding against them in a battle and are subverting eBay's poor plan in order to do so. The ultimate conclusion to all of this is that all bidders should submit their bids at the last possible moment. The proxy bidding is supposed to take care of that for them, but fails due to the battle mentality. Sniping is the symptom of the problem that causes eBay's design to "artificially" increase prices, and it appears unfair on the surface to the non-sniper. Changes to the system would allow sniping to become irrelevant, and that change would be detrimental to people interested explicitly in the battle, snipers or not. Oh, and eBay's and the seller's bottom lines.

#207329 - 29/02/2004 20:11 Re: A quick ebay rant. [Re: wfaulk]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
The ability to rebid actually causes that "artificial" increase.

Well, of course you can re-bid. It's an auction, y'know. That's what an auction is all about -- a bidding competition that is ultimately resolved in favor of the person willing to bid the most money.

One bid per auction? Screw that -- might as well just go shop at WalMart.

tanstaafl.

#207330 - 01/03/2004 09:50 Re: A quick ebay rant. [Re: tanstaafl.]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

<sigh>

No.

You tell your proxy (eBay itself) what your maximum bid is and it bids on your behalf.

You, like so many other people, are confusing an eBay auction with a going, going, gone auction. Think of it more as a sealed-bid auction.

Also, your statement would put you in the category of auction warriors who are more interested in the battle than the prize and make the rest of us pay more.

#207331 - 01/03/2004 11:21 Re: A quick ebay rant. [Re: wfaulk]
belezeebub
addict

I bid differently

I look at the item and decide what the Maxium amout I am willing to go on it is.
then I bid that amount, if you want to out bid me or snipe me go for it, I never even watch items, I just sit back relax and wait for the e-mail saying I won or I got out bid,

The only exception to that rule is something really rare that I really want, (Ie. Jeri Lynn Ryan's Idenctile Twin sister that likes aging balding geeky guys) I will watch that item and raise my bid as needed.
______________________________________ Do not meddle in the affairs of Network Administrators, for they are subtle and quick to anger. ______________________________________ Worlds Lamest Wb Site (mine) http://home.comcast.net/~jlipchitz/

#207332 - 01/03/2004 11:40 Re: A quick ebay rant. [Re: wfaulk]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
The whole proxy bidding thing is a good concept in theory, but for some reason most people seem to have trouble working their heads around what it does exactly. There is no doubt in my mind that when people wait to bid until the last minute the ending price of the sale is less than if people had been going at it the whole time. I think this isn’t as much a function of liking the action as it is that when people bid throughout the life of an auction it gives them a chance to talk themselves into a higher bid. If you’ve had the highest bid for a couple of days, you get used to the idea that you’re going to win. Then when someone comes in higher you start to reevaluate what you’re willing to pay in order to restore the auction to the favorable conclusion you’ve gotten used to. As more people join in the auction, those who’ve been around a while find it difficult to resist bidding higher because they’ve formed an attachment to the auction.

For me I mostly bid in the last minutes of an auction, not in an attempt to “snipe” the price but in order to keep myself from stewing over the auction and talking myself into a higher price than I originally felt was acceptable. Of course, I fully recognize the problem is my own weak will power and inability to stick to a price I’ve chosen, but this is the way I overcome it. I don’t commit until there’s not much of chance for me to change my bid.

I probably really wouldn’t mind if Ebay restricted each person to one bid, but it does sound a bit like Ebay taking away my freedom to bid however I want.

#207333 - 01/03/2004 11:59 Re: A quick ebay rant. [Re: JeffS]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

but it does sound a bit like Ebay taking away my freedom to bid however I want.

LOL. Does anyone else remember when the word "freedom" had real meaning? Do you think that we could avoid debasing it any more?
Bidding on Ebay is a privilege granted to you by Ebay, and not a right. As such, you are allowed to bid exactly as their rules and regulations permit, for as long as they deign to grant you that privilege. That isn't Freedom.

"I Pledge Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America
and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God,
indivisible, with liberty, justice, and the right to bid freely on Ebay for all."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >