Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#221460 - 08/05/2002 12:58 Dell Audio Receiver just keeps rebooting.
synergy
enthusiast

I've got one of the Rebranded receivers that I can NOT get to come up anymore.

It used to work. I've had it working with both the Windows software at the very beginning, and then Jeff Mock's software, and finally the JReciever software.

Then I got my second Empeg and started to use it instead.

About a week ago, I plugged the receiver in, and it Initiallizes, grabs it's nfs mount, and starts the Player app. About .5 seconds later (after requesting /tags, /layout/en_UK/index,/layout/en_UK/all_info, /list/100?shuffle=0&%5Fextended=2, and finally /tags/100) it reboots. And the cycle continues forever.

Those requests came from JReciever, but I have the exact same problem with the Windows software, as well as Jeff Mock's server.

I've reduced my filelist down to 1 file, which I KNOW is good.

Any ideas, or has this thing just hit too many alpha particles and given up the ghost?

#221461 - 08/05/2002 13:52 Re: Dell Audio Receiver just keeps rebooting. [Re: synergy]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Wild shots in the dark:

After plugging it in, press the power button several times in quick succession to force it to do a hard reboot. Does that fix it?

Also: Were any changes made to your network configuration since the last time it worked?

Also: Have you checked to make sure you're not infected with the Nimda virus on your home LAN? The Receiver uses HTTP, and there was a similar problem with the empeg using one of the HTTP-enabled versions of Hijack.

#221462 - 08/05/2002 14:24 Re: Dell Audio Receiver just keeps rebooting. [Re: tfabris]
synergy
enthusiast

After plugging it in, press the power button several times in quick succession to force it to do a hard reboot. Does that fix it?

Nope.... I've done multiple power resets, both via quick power button presses, normal button presses, leaving it off overnight...

Also: Were any changes made to your network configuration since the last time it worked?

No, I'm the admin here. I've got a static dhcp mapping setup for the receiver, and I know that it is functioning, as I can see the rio grabbing it's IP, getting the ssdp packet, mounting it's NFS mount, and making several requests.

The networking part of it appears to be functioning without a problem. It's just after it gets the results from tags/100, it reboots.

Also: Have you checked to make sure you're not infected with the Nimda virus on your home LAN? The Receiver uses HTTP, and there was a similar problem with the empeg using one of the HTTP-enabled versions of Hijack.

I know without a DOUBT that we aren't inflected. I'm 99.9% a linux shop. This is at the Work LAN/WAN, btw, which I built. I've got enough IDS setup around here that if it was nimda, You wouldn't be able to hear for all the alarms going off.

I'm going to take it to the house tonight and try it there as well. I don't anticipate any changes, but just to have another datum.

As an additional piece of info, I've downloaded the latest software I could find from Dell (1.03 it appears) and overwrote the NFS tree with it as well as setting up a win box specifically to host the windows server. No change in results.

Thanks, tho.

#221463 - 09/05/2002 03:18 Re: Dell Audio Receiver just keeps rebooting. [Re: synergy]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
It's possible that you've got too much music, and it's running out of memory when it's fed the (flattened) root playlist.

Try feeding the server a smaller portion of your music collection.

#221464 - 09/05/2002 09:01 Re: Dell Audio Receiver just keeps rebooting. [Re: Roger]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
That was my first thought, too, but (a) he says he reduced it down to 1 song, and (b) he says he did it with the Jreceiver server, too, which doesn't have that problem.

#221465 - 09/05/2002 09:30 Re: Dell Audio Receiver just keeps rebooting. [Re: tfabris]
synergy
enthusiast

That was my first thought, too, but (a) he says he reduced it down to 1 song, and (b) he says he did it with the Jreceiver server, too, which doesn't have that problem.

Well... It's something funky here. WHAT, I have no clue.

Took it home last night, did a rsync of the Jreceiver partition to a local machine at the house, and boom. No problems. Loaded up a huge amount of files, even streamed them from the office.

I'm at a loss. I built both of these networks. They are using the same software. One causes reboots, the other doesn't.

So... It's not the hardware. And it's not the software either (as I did an exact copy from one net to the other, thanks to rsync and an IPsec tunnel.) Which does leave the Network.

Now, nothing has changed on the net since the last time this functioned. I've dropped the receiver on a 10mbs hub to run ethereal... Trying to figure out what might be killing it. I'm not seeing anything out of the ordinary.

The good news is that the reason I booted it back up was for use in the house... I'm buying a house (closing date May 31... WooHOO!), and wanted to use the receiver there in an office/kitchen environment for my wife. It works on the House's network. So this is good.

The Bad news is that I *HAVE* to know why it dies here. I'm going to set up yet another server here for it, and see if I can't narrow it down. We'll try this one completely from scratch on it's own subnet first, then migrate it to the main net.

Plus, I'm considering buying more of the things now that I've seen the latest revision of Jreceiver... That's some DAMN sharp software. No offense, Empeg guys, but it blows the Windows based software away. I'm a believer in your skillz (bought a Mk2 back when they were full price, and then a spare mk2a when the first reduction happened), but PLEASE incorporate some of the Jreceiver functionality into the server program if you distribute another release of it.

#221466 - 09/05/2002 10:31 Re: Dell Audio Receiver just keeps rebooting. [Re: tfabris]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
OK, I missed that. I was also going to point out that the problem's with the client, not the server, but ISTR that JRec truncates the playlist, no? In which case, there's definitely something screwy going on.

#221467 - 09/05/2002 13:10 Re: Dell Audio Receiver just keeps rebooting. [Re: synergy]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
PLEASE incorporate some of the Jreceiver functionality into the server program if you distribute another release of it

I've not used Jreceiver, but the next Receiver server you're likely to see from us will have very little in common with the old one.

Rob

#221468 - 09/05/2002 17:56 Re: Dell Audio Receiver just keeps rebooting. [Re: rob]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
the next Receiver server you're likely to see from us will have very little in common with the old one

Yay!

#221469 - 10/05/2002 05:29 Re: Dell Audio Receiver just keeps rebooting. [Re: robricc]
rob
carpal tunnel

It'll be worth it just to get a new icon.

Rob

#221470 - 13/05/2002 06:42 Re: Dell Audio Receiver just keeps rebooting. [Re: rob]
Demon

In reply to:

I've not used Jreceiver, but the next Receiver server you're likely to see from us will have very little in common with the old one.

Don't tease us like that, man. It's not nice. We need that software!

Any eta?

#221471 - 13/05/2002 06:48 Re: Dell Audio Receiver just keeps rebooting. [Re: Demon]
rob
carpal tunnel

Any eta?

Nah, it's not an official project yet. Some other stuff we're doing will pave the way.

Rob

#221472 - 17/05/2002 14:13 Re: Dell Audio Receiver just keeps rebooting. [Re: rob]
nightingales

Loc: GA/USA
gaaahhhd I'm so excited just to hear that there WILL be a new software!!! This product absolutely rocks but for some serious software limitations...

#221473 - 23/05/2002 08:31 Re: Dell Audio Receiver just keeps rebooting. [Re: rob]
nightingales

Rob,

does the fact that Rio has more or less officially dropped the Rio Receiver now mean we won't see the software update?

N.

#221474 - 23/05/2002 09:27 Re: Dell Audio Receiver just keeps rebooting. [Re: nightingales]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Who knows, it all depends on whether they Receiver has disappeared because there is a replacement coming, or whether it has gone for good. The complete silence from the empeg guys on this issue leads me to hope they are just sitting on a new product announcement that they can't talk about, but who knows...

#221475 - 24/05/2002 17:08 Re: Dell Audio Receiver just keeps rebooting. [Re: nightingales]
rob
carpal tunnel

I'm not aware that it's any more or less "dropped" than it was before. It's a product that could certainly use a refresh.

The server update I hinted at is on the back of another project so isn't affected either way.

Rob

#221476 - 25/05/2002 17:34 Re: Dell Audio Receiver just keeps rebooting. [Re: rob]
andy
carpal tunnel

I'm not aware that it's any more or less "dropped" than it was before. It's a product that could certainly use a refresh.

How much more dropped could it get Rob ? It doesn't even appear on the SB/Rio website anymore. To all intents and purposes it has disappeared from view.

#221477 - 26/05/2002 04:44 Re: Dell Audio Receiver just keeps rebooting. [Re: rob]
nightingales

Thanks for the reply, Rob. As Andy pointed out, our idea of "totally dropped" refers to the fact that the RIO Receiver is suddenly not listed as a products anymore on SonicBlue's website.

#221478 - 29/05/2002 06:47 Re: Dell Audio Receiver just keeps rebooting. [Re: andy]
Demon

Just because the product isn't listed on the web page, doesn't mean they won't support it.

It sounds like the server software they are writing is going to be generic, as in it's going to support more than just the RIO. It's probably an update for that big gun that replaced the RIO, but it will probably work for us, too.

#221479 - 29/05/2002 11:32 Re: Dell Audio Receiver just keeps rebooting. [Re: Demon]
andy
carpal tunnel

I didn't say anything about them stopping supporting the Rio, I was talking about the fact that it had disappeared from the Rio site and presumably has now been discontinued. I still hope this means that it is simply being replaced by another product.

I don't think that the Rio Central replaced the Receiver, they are very different, but connected, products.

#221480 - 19/09/2005 23:57 Re: Dell Audio Receiver just keeps rebooting. [Re: synergy]
scarylanding
new poster

I had the same problem after I upgraded the firmware on my BEFSR41B Linksys router. Two rio's would run fine on a hub with my linux server. The second I plugged in the linksys the rio would begin rebooting. It would find the server and just as it was beginning to get the music it would reboot. I tried various settings on the linksys to no avail. Finally I downgraded the firmware and the system worked again. I am using version 1.40.1, Sep 10 2001. There may be a newer one that works but I have tried the two newest and they did not work.