Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#233970 - 19/09/2004 16:25 Video taping a live music show
davec
old hand

Loc: Georgetown, TX USA
I friend of mine played his first gig with an Iron Maiden tribute band last night and I taped it with my camcorder. Since it was really friggin' loud, the audio is terrible on the recording. Anyone have any suggestions for future recording, like an external mic that will help? There is no audio input level control that I can find on my camera, a Sony DCR-TRV30. Thanks!

#233971 - 19/09/2004 17:00 Re: Video taping a live music show [Re: davec]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Ideally, you'd get a feed directly off the sound board which you'd monitor with headphones.

(Assuming that all instruments were going through the PA and that someone competent was mixing it.)

#233972 - 19/09/2004 17:09 Re: Video taping a live music show [Re: davec]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Without any in-built attenuation anything you do to the internal microphone will probably affect the frequency response. An external mic with high SPL handling would be the best option. Pointing an external mic away from the stage might also help. Usually in situations like this you need good monitoring, a pair of DT100's have fairly good insulation properties.

If your mate is in the band and you're doing it for them. Get the sound guy to provide you with a PA feed, admittedly it'll be mixed for the PA but it will sound miles better than a microphone.

Andy M

#233973 - 19/09/2004 17:16 Re: Video taping a live music show [Re: davec]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I'm sure you were overdriving the mic on the camcorder. Like Tony said I would go for the soundboard but if you can't do that you need to get a high pressure mic external mic.

Matt

#233974 - 19/09/2004 19:12 Re: Video taping a live music show [Re: msaeger]
davec
old hand

Loc: Georgetown, TX USA
I found one by Sony that is says "Maximum Sound Pressure Level Input more than 110 dB SPL" so that may work a little better, but I'm not sure if that would still be overdriven.
It was a last minute thing and if I do it again, I will inquire about plugging in the the SB. Thanks for the replies!

#233975 - 19/09/2004 20:32 Re: Video taping a live music show [Re: davec]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
From what I remember reading about taping concerts they recommended 110db so I would guess that one would work. I can't find where I was reading this any more though

Matt

#233976 - 19/09/2004 23:07 Re: Video taping a live music show [Re: davec]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
My friend and I do this often for making DVDs that we then send to the band. It's a great way to get pre-approval for video taping.

Anyway, I'm not sure what the technical terms are, but I'm sure it's what the other people here have said. He basically keeps an eye on the levels when the band starts playing, and his camera fortunately lets you adjust the recording volume in order to adjust for these high volumes. This way, we were able to be in the very front of the stage for a Mudhoney show and not have any distortion in the sound.

That said, he's still not satisfied with the audio quality. My friend is a big audio guy who runs sound for bands from time to time, and he knows how to record properly. For the next shows we do we're going to try for advance approval to patch into the soundboard with some sort of recording device.

#233977 - 20/09/2004 07:36 Re: Video taping a live music show [Re: Dignan]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Quote:
For the next shows we do we're going to try for advance approval to patch into the soundboard with some sort of recording device.

Sync will be a big issue here. Make sure you use something that won't drift after time. The best thing to do is to record straight onto the audio tracks of the camera tape.

Andy M

#233978 - 20/09/2004 13:06 Re: Video taping a live music show [Re: andym]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Sync will be a big issue here. Make sure you use something that won't drift after time. The best thing to do is to record straight onto the audio tracks of the camera tape.

Right, that's what I meant in my first reply. Cameras have an external mic input, you'd run a pair of outputs from the sound board directly into those.

There's a whole other class of technical informaiton to go with that, of course... type of outputs, impedance matching, the correct adapter bits, etc., but one would hope that the sound guy is knowledgable enough in that area to help.

#233979 - 20/09/2004 13:41 Re: Video taping a live music show [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I don't think my friend would have that problem. Like I said, he's a sound guy.

Besides, we're talking about two cameras recording these shows, then editing them together. Any sybc issues can be taken care of in editing.

#233980 - 20/09/2004 14:29 Re: Video taping a live music show [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Any sync issues can be taken care of in editing.

Yeah, but it's so much easier to do the edits when the audio track is solidly locked to the video track. Synching up separate audio and video tracks is a real pain.

Incidentally, if you've got two cameras recording, there might be a way to run a cable between them and SMPTE sync those, so that the two are striped with the same exact timecode, so that the editing between the two sets of video data are perfectly seamless in your editing software, and there's no need to worry about synching up those either.

#233981 - 20/09/2004 14:54 Re: Video taping a live music show [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Um, we're both talking about live shows here, right? Having two cameras tethered by cables might be a bit difficult.