Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#237167 - 13/10/2004 11:08 Re: TiVo recording strategy [Re: Dignan]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
Ya'll REALLY need the new software. If for nothing else than groups. All programs from eash wishlist get stuck in a group. All season passes go in a group. All suggestions are in a group (at the bottom). You get the idea.

As for showing a meter of how much time you have left, that depends entirely on what quality you record at, unless it's a DTivo.

#237168 - 13/10/2004 14:41 Re: TiVo recording strategy [Re: wfaulk]
Dylan
addict

Loc: Virginia, USA
Quote:
A friend of mine also disabled the suggestions and I still don't understand why anyone would ever want to do that.

I turn off the suggestions because it changes the channel when I don't want it to. I like to leave the music channels on as background and then suddently it will be blaring some obnoxious commercial. Another time the suggestions get in the way is when I'm watching football on Sundays. Normally, I'll delay sporting events and use the time to skip through commercials. But I have the NFL Sunday Ticket and I like to flip around between the multiple games live. It's annoying to go to the other tuner and find my buffer gone and something stupid being recorded.

I used to wade through the menus to constantly turn on/off the suggestions. But this got annoying and the suggestions so rarely found something I wanted that I leave them off now.

#237169 - 13/10/2004 14:53 Re: TiVo recording strategy [Re: Dylan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Well, that's fair.

#237170 - 13/10/2004 14:59 Re: TiVo recording strategy [Re: Dylan]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
That's a good reason. It doesn't fit many (I won't even go as far as most) people's usage patterns, though. I must admit I'm sort of tempted to set up on TiVo that way and use it for live TV, but I almost never watch live TV anymore.

#237171 - 15/10/2004 14:04 Re: TiVo recording strategy [Re: wfaulk]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
The problem is likely that I've only ever run software older than the versions being run by people here. First 2.5 and then 3.0/3.1 I believe. Remember that I'm in Canada, so I don't have the luxury of being abl to update to the latest versions if I still want to be able to use this box.

When I first turned off suggested recordings, they were being inserted along with other recordings in chronoligical order in the Now Playing list. There was no way to alter that list, including re-ordering it in any way. Nor were there any features provided for searching local content which is a necessity if you have a lot of programming on a 200GB+ drive (or 400 or 600GB as some people can/do now).

I'm in NYC right now working at the DigitalLife consumer show. At this moment I'm actually in my hotel room getting ready (or not I suppose) to work an afternoon shift at our booth. Dish Network has a small little booth right next to us and TiVo has a small little pod toward the back of the hall somewhere. I'll pass by to take a look, but I doubt I'll bring anything up. I'm sure they've heard the Canadian plea a few million times.

Bruno

#237172 - 15/10/2004 14:21 Re: TiVo recording strategy [Re: hybrid8]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I've had a TiVo since version 1.1.3 (or something like that) and I've never seen it place suggestions anywhere besides the very bottom of the "Now Playing" list. (That is, until they implemented the alpha sort, and that was recently.)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2