Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#23850 - 21/12/2000 16:14 Ordering of the main playlist
dids

Loc: Santa Monica, California, USA
Probably a typical sign that I just received my empeg, I have WAY too many questions...

I can't seem to order or move the items in the top playlist, they stay ascending alphabetically all the time.

-D
ps:BTW, this is the single thing coolest I have ever seen... It was well worth the wait for me to get my hands on one.

---
reg. #10798 - blue 40gig MK2 #090000764
--- reg. #10798 - [blue]blue[/blue] 40gig MK2 #764

#23851 - 22/12/2000 00:00 Re: Ordering of the main playlist [Re: dids]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
This one probably qualifies for its own FAQ entry by now, unless the empeg guys are planning on changing the behavior sometime soon...

In Emplode, you can sort the order of any playlists or songs at any level (including the top level). Hit View/Details, sort by position (click on the "position" column header), and drag stuff up and down in the right-hand pane.

This adjusts the play order of songs and playlists, i.e., the order that the songs and playlists are played if "shuffle" is off.

The playlists and songs still appear alphabetically on the empeg's menu screen when you are navigating the playlist structure. This is by design: You can access these menus alphabetically using the keypad on the remote control, so from that standpoint, the alphabetical sorting is correct.

The relative merits/problems of this system have been discussed in other threads here and here, and at this time, the empeg folks have not said whether or not this behavior will be changing in the future.

#23852 - 22/12/2000 10:36 Re: Ordering of the main playlist [Re: tfabris]
dids

Loc: Santa Monica, California, USA
Thanks for the links that clarifies a lot of things.

I understand the ordering issues when using the keypad to select songs, maybe the list could re-order if you start using the keypad or something.

Either way, I agree that you should be able to choose and order it the way you want. In my case I wouldn't even mind if this turns off the ability to choose using the keypad.

Not being able to see the albums by year in the empeg-list is a bigger issue to me than using the keypad for selection. I'm sure everybody has their own preference so choice is crucial.

Not a big deal anyway, still loving it...

-D

---
reg. #10798 - blue 40gig MK2 #090000764
--- reg. #10798 - [blue]blue[/blue] 40gig MK2 #764

#23853 - 23/12/2000 11:52 Re: Ordering of the main playlist [Re: dids]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I believe (I'm not certain on this) that Tony has said they will be implementing an option for this. Don't quote me on that.

The only thing that annoys me about the alpha diaplay order is that I want my playlists in alpha order, and sometimes it doesn't work out the way I order them in emplode. For example (if you read that first discussion), I have some non-artist playlists like "other" and "jazz". I had put them in emplode as ~Other~ and ~Jazz~, and put them at the top of the list, assuming that the empeg alphabetized the same way windows did. But it doesn't, it puts ~ at the end of the alphabet. No big deal, but I confused myself trying to figure it out

Anyway, I believe they are making changes in emplode, too, that will let you sort your playlists in various orders.

So welcome to the club! hope you enjoy it!

DiGNAN

#23854 - 23/12/2000 17:56 Re: Ordering of the main playlist [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I believe (I'm not certain on this) that Tony has said they will be implementing an option for this.

I didn't. No one has even hinted that this behavior will change. All that's happened so far is that some people complained about it on the BBS.

But it doesn't, it puts ~ at the end of the alphabet.

If you use a hyphen (-) instead of a tilde (~), then they will show up at the beginning. That's what I've done in my playlists.

#23855 - 23/12/2000 20:48 Re: Ordering of the main playlist [Re: tfabris]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
If you use a hyphen (-) instead of a tilde (~), then they will show up at the beginning. That's what I've done in my playlists. or an underscore =] (or i'm sure many of the other characters.)

|| loren.cox

#23856 - 23/12/2000 20:55 Re: Ordering of the main playlist [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I'm sorry, Tony. I keep saying your name when I mean Hugo. For some reason my mind must be thinking Tony Altman

Anyway, I guess I was wrong about that anyway. Could have sworn something was being done about it, but oh well.

DiGNAN

#23857 - 30/12/2000 03:21 Re: Ordering of the main playlist [Re: Dignan]
Drakoz
new poster

Loc: California, USA
This is clearly a dead horse topic, but in case it matters (my opinion that is), one of the most annoying aspects of my empeg is that the playlist is displayed in alphabetical order instead of the play order I chose in emplode. I don't care about the ability to use the remote to move through the play list. I don't like having to use the remote in the car if I can avoid it.

One solution for this is to break your playlist down into sub-playlists alphabetically. Create an ABC playlist, DEF playlist, etc. That way, "The Cynic Project" can be placed under ABC where you want it instead of appearing in the T's. It's not a perfect solution, but it helps a lot.

Mike

#23858 - 30/12/2000 07:37 Re: Ordering of the main playlist [Re: Drakoz]
debauch
enthusiast

Loc: West Midlands, England
As an aside, the following quote has prompted some frustration I need to vent.

In reply to:

That way, "The Cynic Project" can be placed under ABC where you want it instead of appearing in the T's

Having spent several months ripping my entire CD collection, I am fed up with people who have made CDDB submissions with spelling mistakes, incorrect punctuation, incorrect letter case etc. etc.

The biggest complaint I have of all though is people who've submitted (for example) "The cynic project", or "Eric Clapton" instead of "Cynic project, The", or "Clapton, Eric".

Am I the only person on this BBS who's got a correctly indexed/catalogued collection?

Nick.

PS Yes, I did re-submit the corrected entries.

--
18Gb blue - s/n 080000299 (original queue position 8724)

#23859 - 30/12/2000 07:47 Re: Ordering of the main playlist [Re: debauch]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

That's one reason I always fill out my own tags, instead of relying on the CDDB.

#23860 - 30/12/2000 09:30 Re: Ordering of the main playlist [Re: debauch]
lax
stranger

Loc: Austin, TX, USA
debauch: Believe me, you're not the only one to be astounded by how most people (mis-)label their tunes. I also prefer to use last-name-first and move-articles-to-the-end for alphabetization, and it's remarkable how few records in CDDB are set up like this.

Now, my real wish would be that there were TWO sets of artist-name fields, one used for alpha sorting and the other for actual display. (Much as I prefer setting alpha names they occasionally causes me to blink, e.g. "Mark, Marky, and the Funky Bunch".)

Empeg Mk. 2 #626, 18Gb blue | Kenwood KMD-X92. 2000 VW Passat wagon.
______________ Empeg Mk. 2 #626, 48Gb blue | Kenwood KMD-X92. 2000 VW Passat wagon.

#23861 - 30/12/2000 11:35 Re: Ordering of the main playlist [Re: debauch]
jwickis
addict

Loc: India
Your not the only one, I've become use to retagging things I get elsewhere, but overall for me the CDDB hasn't been too bad. If the CD makers were to use the titling feature as it was meant across the board, you wouldn't need the CDDB. I have a CD changer at home that will get text info from the CD's but the feature is almost useless for the CD's don't have the text-about 3 out of 100 have text. The source is the key, millions of people filling out CD info for a database is not the way to go, in businesses even 2-3 people doing database filling even gets muffed.

#695 Mk2 BLUE 12Gig

Ask and I may tell you

#23862 - 30/12/2000 14:57 Re: Ordering of the main playlist [Re: jwickis]
PaulWay
addict

Loc: Canberra, Australia
My 2 cents worth, and getting a couple more whip-strokes on the corpse...

As I almost always prefer editing to writing from scratch, I use the CDDB and edit what it gives me. Yes, there are some annoying mistakes, but most of the time the information is pretty good. And I think the final word on a database written by a huge number of volunteers is that there is absolutely no competition from the record companies themselves, either in the form of another database or in the form of the submission of correct entries. The record industry almost couldn't care less about people wanting to get their CD titles other than by typing them in themselves.

The more you read about the bad attitude of record companies, the more you wonder how they still exist...

Save the whales. Feed the hungry. Free the mallocs.