Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#248424 - 03/02/2005 15:33 Apprentice: Martha Stewart
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Ok, I'm not going to argue that DT is really someone to look up to, be like, or want to work for, but this just seems like the punchline to a bad joke.

Yes, I've watched the apprentice (wife likes the show so I watch it with her- that's my story and I'm sticking to it) and I always laugh at these contestens who are so inspired/fearful of DT ("He touched my hand!!!!"). I suppose some people still take him seriously and it plays into the "American Dream" mentality that being super rich really will make you happy, but Martha Stewart? Do people really want to be her?

In one sense, The Apprentice helped make DT a household name again and put his image back on the map; perhaps that's MS's plan as well? Still sounds like a joke.

#248425 - 03/02/2005 15:37 Re: Apprentice: Martha Stewart [Re: JeffS]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
Quote:
but Martha Stewart? Do people really want to be her?

My aunt worked for her for a while. I don't think I'd want to be Martha stewart, but living in a neat house and having better food preparation skills would be very nice.

#248426 - 03/02/2005 15:43 Re: Apprentice: Martha Stewart [Re: JeffS]
Heather
addict

Loc: NY
Yes Jeff, some people really do want to be Mothra Stewart. I've heard not very nice things said about her from people who've had the displeasure of working with her.

As for DT, people enjoy taking this piss out of him around here more than anything. No one will deny he's very talented at what he does, but he's pretty laughable. I sold a car to a relative of his, who wanted more of a discount than we were willing to give him. I told him I'd give him his price if he gave me his relatives wig. He was offended for about a half a second, then started laughing hysterically. He paid my price. He didn't want to be the one responsible for Donald's rug winding up on eBay.

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony

#248427 - 03/02/2005 15:44 Re: Apprentice: Martha Stewart [Re: Heather]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Mothra Stewart

You slay me.

#248428 - 03/02/2005 15:45 Re: Apprentice: Martha Stewart [Re: JeffS]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
There is something to be said for her going from being a divorced housewife who started her own catering business to being head of a multi-million-dollar corporation. And then going to prison for perjury. I guess power does corrupt. I'm personally most impressed with her for being a performing guest on a Julia Child show.

Edited by wfaulk (03/02/2005 15:52)

#248429 - 03/02/2005 15:49 Re: Apprentice: Martha Stewart [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
I'm personally most impressed with her for being a guest on a Julia Child show.

I was impressed with her cameo as an alien in Men In Black 2.

#248430 - 03/02/2005 17:53 Re: Apprentice: Martha Stewart [Re: wfaulk]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Quote:
There is something to be said for her going from being a divorced housewife who started her own catering business to being head of a multi-million-dollar corporation.
Oh I agree for sure. And really, I think it's likely she has the better business sense than DT. She has been very shrewd in her business, especially branding. From what I've seen of DT (which isn't very much) I get the impression he's successful more for his persistence and bluster than his business sense. Of course, so much of what he does on TV is fake and designed for publicity, it's really hard to get a read on him anyway. Certainly he knows how to capitialize on success and work his image (even if it means lying).

Still DT is WAY more glamerous than MS, which is why his reality TV show probably works so well. Working for someone just getting out of prison just seems to lack the glam appeal, but what do I know? When we first started watching the show I thought the idea of seeing people compete in quasi-work situations was an interesting idea and the boardroom was silly and devisive. It didn't take the show long to start downplaying the real work and start focusing on the "firing".

#248431 - 03/02/2005 18:13 Re: Apprentice: Martha Stewart [Re: JeffS]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Quote:
DT is WAY more glamerous than MS

Hmm. I disagree. To me, glamour has a lot to do with class, and Donald Trump seems to have basically none of that. As much as I dislike Martha Stewart for various reasons, she at least seems to know how to present herself in an appealing manner. I see nothing appealing about Donald Trump other than large amounts of cash.

In other words, I'd rather live in a house Martha decorated than one Donald had decorated.

#248432 - 03/02/2005 18:48 Re: Apprentice: Martha Stewart [Re: wfaulk]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Quote:
In other words, I'd rather live in a house Martha decorated than one Donald had decorated.
Agreed. I agree with everything in your post, actually. Just a different use of the word "glamour". I meant it not in the sense of what I find appealing, but of what TV and the media tends to highligh and make shows about. I guess I just feel like Stewart lost a lot of her "I want to be Martha Stewart" appeal when she went to jail. It really deminishes her accomplishments that she got caught doing something illegal.

Of course, Trump has had his share of missteps and people still want to be him, so I shouldn't be suprised. I certainly don't want to be like Trump. Neither he nor Stewart have ever looked particularly happy to me.

#248433 - 03/02/2005 18:55 Re: Apprentice: Martha Stewart [Re: JeffS]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Oh. Fair enough. Glitz, I suppose. Never been one to pay much attention to that. I suppose that's why I don't watch any of this damned reality TV. Or maybe that's because of the backbiting.

#248434 - 03/02/2005 21:25 Re: Apprentice: Martha Stewart [Re: wfaulk]
Cybjorg
addict

Loc: Winston Salem, NC
Quote:
I see nothing appealing about Donald Trump other than large amounts of cash.

What!? The enormous comb-over doesn't turn you on?

#248435 - 03/02/2005 21:38 Re: Apprentice: Martha Stewart [Re: Cybjorg]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Well, yeah, but that's just animal lust.

#248436 - 03/02/2005 21:43 Re: Apprentice: Martha Stewart [Re: wfaulk]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Well, yeah, but that's just animal lust.

I have got to log off before I lose it completely. I read this, and my very first thought was a bad joke about toupees, taxidermy and necrophilia. I think I will sign off for a while. If you do not hear from me in 12 hours, you will know that I have found, uh, "safer" accommodations that involve upholstered walls.

#248437 - 03/02/2005 22:27 Re: Apprentice: Martha Stewart [Re: JeffS]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
That's the problem with some people. They just want to be rich... Donald Trump is just that, rich. Fairly rich to be sure, but the name has more value than his liquid or material assets, unfortunately. Now if you want to talk filthy stinking wealthy, then you'd look at Mr.Gates (obvious) and of course Richard Branson.

Hey, I'd do fine with Trump's stash, don't get me wrong, but people just think he's a sultan or something when in fact he's just a little better off than a celebrity.

The "You're fired" thing is more tacky than anything else. And the show isn't nearly as enjoyable as something like Amazing Race or Branson's show on fox (which I caught a few episodes of). I do suppose it's a number of notches above the likes of Nanny and babysitter shows and the latest Wife Swappping shows. Though i have to say the one episode of the Amish in the City show I saw was pretty entertaining.

Bruno

#248438 - 04/02/2005 01:30 Re: Apprentice: Martha Stewart [Re: hybrid8]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
Quote:
That's the problem with some people. They just want to be rich... Donald Trump is just that, rich. Fairly rich to be sure, but the name has more value than his liquid or material assets, unfortunately. Now if you want to talk filthy stinking wealthy, then you'd look at Mr.Gates (obvious) and of course Richard Branson.

But Branson didn't take Jon Stewart up on the electric vehicle challenge, so he's not oozing money, I guess.