Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#249471 - 16/02/2005 02:31 Mac Trackpad scrolling - new
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Here's a link to a new trackpad driver based on the code Apple just released with their new Darwin kernel. This supports the two-finger scrolling found on the new models.

http://www-users.kawo2.rwth-aachen.de/~razzfazz/

This is a driver only annd doesn't include its own control panel for any special settings beyond the standard ones. That's coming though. I find that scrolling with two fingers (anywhere on the pad) is a lot more intuitive and much easier than using only one of the edges.

This also offers a very nice RMB function. Click the button while two fingers are on the pad and it's a RMB-Click instead of LMB. Very nice. much better than using a corner tap with Sidetrack.

Sidetrack also lacked support for filtering out eroneous (double) pad touches. Try this. Put one finger down on the pad and then touch somewhere else on the pad with another finger. The mouse pointer moves. The regular OS driver doesn't do this, and this new driver traps this for scroll use.

It's also free. Looking forward to seeing some config options to for things like setting a limit on the distance between the two touch-points.

There are actually a few versions of the driver, one of them allowing a circular motion to do the scrolling (like on the iPod). I have yet to try this one.

Bruno

#249472 - 16/02/2005 03:27 Re: Mac Trackpad scrolling - new [Re: hybrid8]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
Hrm. It is pretty sweet. The only thing that's killing me is the loss of the corner taps for expose functions. I've really gotten used to having those there. Tough choice. I'll have to leave in on for a day or so and see which I like better.

#249473 - 16/02/2005 04:18 Re: Mac Trackpad scrolling - new [Re: hybrid8]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Very neat. Still, I'll be sticking with Sidetrack, and not just because I paid to register it a few weeks ago. For one thing, my Windows and Linux PCs both have keyboards with Synaptics touchpads, so my interface is the same across all three with respect to corner taps, scrolling, etc. (Yes, I actually prefer touchpads to mice.) Secondly, I use the other 3 corner taps for middle click, back browse, forward browse, and it doesn't sound like there's a solution for those in these drivers. The loss of middle click on the trackpad would be huge for me, as I spend a lot of time in X. As for double taps, I never have those kind of problems, so no big whoop there.

All that being said, I'm using this bad boy nowadays, so unless I'm on the go, my Mac mousing/gesture needs are taken care of.

#249474 - 16/02/2005 05:04 Re: Mac Trackpad scrolling - new [Re: tonyc]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
How do you like the touchstream? I just came accross those for the first time earlier today. It seems like they've really figured out most of the problems associated with non traditional keyboards. What about knowing where the keys are when you're typing? Do you have to look at it to see if your hand is drifting?

Matthew

#249475 - 16/02/2005 13:31 Re: Mac Trackpad scrolling - new [Re: matthew_k]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Quote:

How do you like the touchstream?

With a few reservations, I'm very happy with it. But rather than send this thread into a tangent, I'll open a new one. Stay tuned.

#249476 - 16/02/2005 14:30 Re: Mac Trackpad scrolling - new [Re: loren]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I find the corner tapping flakey, so I don't mind losing them - for now. When a control panel is fashioned for this driver I'm sure tap areas may be considered as a feature. I much prefer a mouse, but it's impractical (impossible) to use one if I'm sitting on a sofa (which happens often in the evening).

Bruno