Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#249837 - 17/02/2005 16:20 OS X util for window positioning?
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Google and Versiontracker searching suggests that what I am looking for doesn't exist, but I figure I'd ask here in case anyone's hit a eureka.

When I plug my Powerbook into an external monitor, a song and dance ensues which has my windows moving this way and that, I would assume in an effort to place them where they were the last time I was connected to a monitor. It tends to do a half-decent job of this if I simply unplug and re-plug the monitor, but if I move the windows around while using the Powerbook standalone, window positions/sizes get wacky.

So what I was hoping for was a utility that can save/restore window positions, either on demand, or even better, automagically when the display configuration is changed. When I used Windows more often, I had a great utility that did the save/restore thing, and it was very handy. I'm not even sure that Panther exposes the necessary OS hooks to allow this, but if it does, I think an app like this would be very valuable. I've already futzed around with Applescript, but the only app I was able to programmatically move/resize is iCal, which doesn't help me very much.

Does such an app exist? If not, anyone think it's possible?

#249838 - 17/02/2005 20:57 Re: OS X util for window positioning? [Re: tonyc]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I'll post this question on the beta forum I maintain...

Bruno

#249839 - 17/02/2005 22:09 Re: OS X util for window positioning? [Re: hybrid8]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Very much appreciated!