Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#256342 - 17/05/2005 20:59 Yahoo Music Unlimited
Dylan
addict

Loc: Virginia, USA
So I'm really digging the new Yahoo subscription music service. It didn't appeal to me at $15/month for Napster but $5/month to listen to all the music I want encoded with WMA at 192 is a good deal to me. The client software is surprisingly good for a 1.0 product. The best feature is the recommendations of new music based on your ratings. You can make a personal "radio station" that can be narrowed by genre and has a user selectable mix of rated vs. unrated music. The selection of non mainstream music is surprisingly good.

I know a lot of people don't like this DRM model but I think it's great. This is a way to use the technology that wasn't possible before. I have little interest in the iTunes model where I pay $10 an album and still don't really own it.

The problem is I'm a recent Mac convert. My personal machine is a Powerbook, I use make regular use of an iPod and Airport Express. That means I'm limited to using the Yahoo service at the office. I'd love to see Apple offer a subscription service.

#256343 - 17/05/2005 23:20 Re: Yahoo Music Unlimited [Re: Dylan]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I thought it was a good idea at 15 dollars a month so 7 is even better.

I like the search options in the napster software better also napster seems to have more indie stuff which I like. The yahoo software is much faster and seems more solid the napster stuff seems buggy as hell.

I would really like to see emusic use this model vs the way the currently do it because I really liked their catalog.

I am guessing these services will have the same problem as emusic because for the little they charge no one can be making any money.

Matt

#256344 - 17/05/2005 23:42 Re: Yahoo Music Unlimited [Re: Dylan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Quote:
I know a lot of people don't like this DRM model but I think it's great.

Why? Wouldn't it be better for the files to be unrestricted? So that you could, for example, play it on your iPod or Mac?

#256345 - 18/05/2005 00:57 Re: Yahoo Music Unlimited [Re: wfaulk]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
So that you could, for example, play it on your iPod or Mac?
or more importantly, empeg?

#256346 - 18/05/2005 01:10 Re: Yahoo Music Unlimited [Re: JeffS]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Quote:
Quote:
So that you could, for example, play it on your iPod or Mac?
or more importantly, empeg?

Tunebite

Legal? Good? Maybe. I haven't used it, nor do I plan to. I still like holding my music in my hands recorded on a shiny plastic disc that should outlive me.

#256347 - 18/05/2005 01:17 Re: Yahoo Music Unlimited [Re: wfaulk]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

That's how emusic used to be unlimited mp3 downloads for 10 bucks a month and look what happened to them.

Matt

#256348 - 18/05/2005 01:42 Re: Yahoo Music Unlimited [Re: Dylan]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
iTunes doesn't do it for me either, but Yahoo! Music isn't the answer. WMA with DRM is a non-starter for me. WMA without DRM would be mildly acceptable, but the difficulty in managing WMA metadata (the lack of cross-platform tools to edit it) would make it an absolute last resort, despite its admirable quality/bitrate performance.

These days, if an album is worth retail store prices to me, I buy the CD. If I only want a few songs, or I want the album, but not enough to pay $12-$15, I go to allofmp3.com, which lets me select the format, encoder, bitrate, etc. and I get files that play everywhere and are easy to manage.

Also, I don't think Yahoo! Music will be $5/month for very long... Suppose they jack it up? Based on a quick glance at their signup page, it looks like the type of DRM that requires an active subscription. If so, I can think of no more lucrative bait and switch than to lure a bunch of people in with $5/month unlimited, then jack up the prices. Then, as a user, you're faced with the choice between paying whatever they change the price to, or watching your entire music collection go *poof*.

#256349 - 18/05/2005 05:05 Re: Yahoo Music Unlimited [Re: Dylan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
encoded with WMA at 192 is a good deal

Just a quick note. Might not be relevant to this conversation. But this is the empeg BBS so I thought it deserved a mention.

Stable version 2.0 empeg-player software uses a Microsoft module to decode WMA. It contains a bug which makes 192 WMAs (or any WMA greater than 160) to play back with pops and screeches. Alpha version 3.0 software has an updated module without this problem, but it's alpha.

Because I have a friend who is in this boat, and who would be impatient with alpha software, I'm curious if anyone knows the easiest and quickest way to transcode WMA to MP3?

I know he can burn an audio CD and rip it, or he could use Total Recorder. But does anyone have knowledge of a easy and free transcoder?

#256350 - 18/05/2005 10:15 Re: Yahoo Music Unlimited [Re: tonyc]
Dylan
addict

Loc: Virginia, USA
Of course I would like the music to be DRM free but that ain't going to happen. If I want DRM free music then I'll buy the CD. That's the point. I don't think of the Yahoo service as owning the music or the songs being "my music collection". I think of it as a cheap way to listen to all kinds of music I wouldn't get to hear otherwise. If the service becomes too expensive or goes away I haven't lost anything. I've gotten $5/month value from exploring all the new music.

How many CD's have you bought that you didn't like? Suppose you could listen to anything you want before you decide whether it's something you want to own? $60 is about 5 CD's. I know that I buy more than 5 CD's a year that I never listen to again.

#256351 - 18/05/2005 10:44 Re: Yahoo Music Unlimited [Re: tfabris]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Quote:
But does anyone have knowledge of a easy and free transcoder?

If there is no DRM or the DRM has been removed, try dbPowerAmp Music Converter

#256352 - 18/05/2005 12:25 Re: Yahoo Music Unlimited [Re: Dylan]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Quote:
I know that I buy more than 5 CD's a year that I never listen to again.

That doesn't happen to me. Every online music retailer provides clips so you can hear things before you buy, and allofmp3 even gives you them as full-length samples so you don't have the problem of not being able to hear the whole song or album. I think the last album I bought that I don't listen to anymore was an impulse buy 3 or 4 ywars ago that I bought based on one strong single. Since then, I know what I'm getting before I buy.

I certainly get your point, though... It's probably very convenient to be able to listen to a lot of new music at full quality, but I guess from my point of view, that $60 could buy me 30 or 40 albums at allofmp3, and they're in a "play anywhere, anytime" format that doesn't disappear if I cancel a subscription.

#256353 - 18/05/2005 12:45 Re: Yahoo Music Unlimited [Re: msaeger]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Quote:
That's how emusic used to be unlimited mp3 downloads for 10 bucks a month and look what happened to them.

So you think the extra expense of more CPU time for DRM and, probably, higher licensing costs from Microsoft is going to make it a better deal?

I'd say Yahoo's deep pockets has more to do with it.

#256354 - 18/05/2005 15:03 Re: Yahoo Music Unlimited [Re: JBjorgen]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
If there is no DRM or the DRM has been removed, try dbPowerAmp Music Converter

Thanks, sending that along. His stuff might be DRM protected too, but that's his own problem for accepting without question the concept of a Microsoft-centric music service.

#256355 - 18/05/2005 15:08 Re: Yahoo Music Unlimited [Re: wfaulk]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Well they went broke and the company that bought them changed it so now for 10 dollars a month you get 40 downloads. I would rather pay 15 like napster and have unlimited drm tracks that expire when the subscription is stopped. 40 tracks isn't enough when looking for new bands that is only a few albums. I want the service to find new bands I like and when I do I buy the cds.

The problem with using unlimited mp3 tracks was people would sign up for a month or two and download their entire catalog.

I can't see yahoo keeping that price forever maybe they plan on raising it after the beta is over.

Matt

#256356 - 18/05/2005 15:35 Re: Yahoo Music Unlimited [Re: msaeger]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Yeah, I'd rather have neither.

I could, however, go with something like "pay us $15 up front to have DRM access to all of our music, then you can get unencumbered versions for a price that comes out of that $15"

Basically, I don't mind the idea of DRM'd try-it-out music, but I don't want to pay for that. At the same time, I can understand why companies don't want to give it away for free.