Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#256940 - 25/05/2005 07:16 Visiting Croatia
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
So, Jen and I are thinking of visiting Croatia for our summer hols. Any tips?

#256941 - 25/05/2005 08:48 Re: Visiting Croatia [Re: Roger]
ineedcolor
addict

Loc: Windsor, Ontario Canada
If you can, make sure that you can see Dubrovnik, it's on the south Adriactic coast about an hour's flight from the capital Zagreb....it is a couple's paradise.

Bring lot's of film

More info can be found here...

Attachments
256447-City_panorama_northeast.jpg (83 downloads)

#256942 - 26/05/2005 07:57 Re: Visiting Croatia [Re: Roger]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
Great, welcome! What kind of activities do you have in mind? Exploring the history, touring tiny hilltop walled towns while tasting wine and olive oil, sailing/widsurfing, rafting, mountaineering, clubbing on a beach, or perhaps just lazing in the sun? Of course, we are a little country, so you can easily do it all (and let's not forget food and drink)

If you visit only one place, I would concur with John's recommendation: Dubrovnik it is. But there are good things to be said for Hvar, Korcula, Mljet, Rab, Istra, Plitvice, Zagorje, Medimurje... I'll try to prepare a little 'guide'...

Edit: Needless to say, if you pass through Zagreb, at least a meal is on me

Edit: removed non-Latin1 characters from toponyms

Edited by bonzi (26/05/2005 17:37)
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#256943 - 26/05/2005 09:12 Re: Visiting Croatia [Re: Roger]
ineedcolor
addict

Tomislav and Bana Jelacica squares in downtown Zagreb are must sees too for the shops, outdoor cafes and old city sights...

Virtual Tour of Bana Jelacica square

#256944 - 28/05/2005 04:32 Re: Visiting Croatia [Re: Roger]
ineedcolor
addict

Hey Roger, did ya cancel your trip?

#256945 - 29/05/2005 07:35 Re: Visiting Croatia [Re: ineedcolor]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
Hey Roger, did ya cancel your trip?

No, just been a bit busy. Jen and I started looking at guidebooks in earnest last night. We'll probably go in early/mid-September, so we're not pushed for time yet.

Currently, we're planning on basing the holiday around Dubrovnik -- we'd like to spend some time near the coast. We've just got to check flights -- the guidebook only talks about flights to Zagreb, so we're going to compare prices and see what makes sense.

Would it be worth, for example, flying to Zagreb, hiring a car and driving down to Dubrovnik? What's public transport (buses/trains) like?

#256946 - 29/05/2005 10:33 Re: Visiting Croatia [Re: Roger]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
There is a direct flight from Gatwick to Dubrovnik (I think it's once daily) by British Airways and Croatia Airways. It's not exactly cheap - around 300EUR round trip. I don't think that any of low cost carriers serve Zagreb at the moment (the closest airport with low-cost flights is Ljubljana in Slovenia, but I don't know whether there's a flight to London or somewhere near it). Other airports close to Dubrovnik are Split in Croatia, Mostar in Bosnia and Tivat, Budva and Podgorica in Montenegro, but I wouldn't expect you will find suitable flights there (except perhaps to Split). Another one is on island Brac, but I guess that once there you would just stay and enjoy swimming and windsurfing on Zlatni Rat beach in Bol

Dubrovnik is around 7 hours by road from Zagreb (at more or less legal speeds )- about half of it on new motorway to Split, another half on old coastal road. Alternatively, one could take old road to Split and spend some time in cool Plitvice Lakes national park, one of UNESCO Wold natural heritage sites.

Other means of reaching Dubrovnik from Zagreb is, again, plane (3-4 times a day, reserve well in advance) and bus (coaches are generally rather new and comfortable). The nearest places served by train are Split and Ploce (the later is served by international trains through Bosnia, used mostly by migrant workers "commuting" to Austria and Germany). Trains are rather slow and with somewhat lesser standard of comfort than typical European intercity lines.

Once in Dubrovnik, one can easily spend weeks without leaving the old city (except perhaps to hop to tiny island of Lokrum and its rocky beaches). A car would come handy for exploring suroundings (Ston, Konavle, Cavtat, Peljesac, even Boka Kotorska, now in Monenegro), going to less crowded beaches and sampling offerings of many restaurants and taverns. (Many large rental agencies as well as myriad of locals operate here; since your visit will be past the top of the season, reservation might not be necessary; however, I would not try my luck if I were you.)

Obviously, you will want to take a tour of city walls (pick a not too hot day for that), explore tiny back streets and alleys, visit museums, climb to Fort Lovrijenac, see one of oldest (if not the oldest) pharmacies still operating in its original location, churches, monasteries and synagogue, Rector's Palace etc. Regrettably, you will miss Dubrovnik Summer Festival.

Regarding food and wine, things tend to change pretty quickly and I have not been there for several years, so it might be a good idea to take advice from a local and/or a recent guidebook. Expect good to excellent food (but there are tourist traps, too) and rather high prices. For example, "Nautica" restaurant outside of Pile (western city gates) was, last time when I visited, excellent, but one would expect to spend about 50 EUR per person without wine. Try "Rozario" on Prijeko, a street parallel to main Stradun (if it is still there) - it was my favourite way too many years ago...

Nightlife is supposed to be rather lively, but I don't have recent first-hand evidence

One idea for a day trip: Peljesac peninsula. Start with tour of Ston (another, smaller, walled city, with a wall going across the isthmus), then lunch in Mali Ston (fresh local oysters ("kamenice"), mussel stew ("dagnje na buzaru"), fish...). Then continue along the peninsula and visit some of small wineries and taste their Dingac (strong red wine; the grape is a very close relative to Italian Primitivo and Californian Zinfandel) - some prior arrangement might be necessary. Finish visiting Orebic, a tiny town which gave many tall ship captains; some of their mansions are still there. (BTW, another walled town you will see across the strait is Korcula, purported home of Marco Polo; very worth a visit, too).

Have a very nice holydays!
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue