Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#259935 - 07/07/2005 21:54 Re: Here we go again.. London this time.. [Re: jimhogan]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
Quote:
Quote:
I don't believe you.

You are not obliged to believe me.

I'm a welsher, so that's good.

Quote:

I guess I would separate "selfish","amoral", "sociopathic" and some other terms from "insane"

Me too. I don't want to have to call myself insane

Quote:
but I think psychiatrists dicker about this all the time. I think "insane" generally means not in touch with reality (and maybe hearing voices of people who don't excist, for example), but then you get into the whole reality thing.

I think my main point is that reducing all of theis to "insane" or "crazy" doesn't get us anywhere -- fighting an asymmetric war against ununiformed enemy has generally been a losing proposition short of complete incineration of all involved territories -- doesn't help us figure out what is going on or how to deal with it.

Well, ok, I think I'm in agreement with this, but if they really are just insane, well, then what?

#259936 - 07/07/2005 23:10 Re: Here we go again.. London this time.. [Re: JaBZ]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Of course, then there are those that are more concerned with how this tragedy will impact their stock portfolio...

http://mediamatters.org/items/200507070007

#259937 - 08/07/2005 01:22 Re: Here we go again.. London this time.. [Re: tonyc]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
Quote:
Of course, then there are those that are more concerned with how this tragedy will impact their stock portfolio...

Funny you should mention something like that. When I got up this morning and read what happened on Google News, I went and turned on CNN (why I have no idea, and why I expected more than I got is a good question as well). A few minutes of inane BS chatter between the two talking heads and the guy turns to the camera and says "And coming up next... how will all this effect todays stocks..."

I couldn't f'n believe it. My disdain for news networks will never cease to gain momentum apparently.

#259938 - 08/07/2005 01:55 Re: Here we go again.. London this time.. [Re: jimhogan]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
perhaps I should have asked whether Jeff would sacrifice his life and take the innocent lives of invaders' children, not if these invaders appeared poised to *imprison* Jeff and his children, but if their invasion looked like it would poison Jeff's children and deny them entry into the Kingdom of Heaven (or whatever afterlife suits your fancy). I consider it bizarre, but, seriously, if you believe in some Heaven and you believed you and your children could get there....save for the nasty actions of infidels/invaders/whatever...what measures would you be obliged to take?
Unfortunatly, the truth is you can't concieve of a situation where I would do this (unless it was something trully twisted like sacrificing myself and some innocents to save the planet from annihilation or something to that effect). I am a fundamentalist* (which is why you're picking on me ), and probably as fundamentalist about my faith as these bomers (or the ones who sent them), but the truth is that my faith is a bit different. Under my beliefe system there is nothing that could be done to warrant that kind of retribution. I do not believe a Christian is to wage Holy war, nor do I believe my children's faith could be poisened against the gospel as you suggest. I believe everyone makes their own personal choice about God and salvation, even if there are those trying to persuade you one way or the other. And THAT is a big difference between the kind of faith I have and those who are bombers. The Muslim faith (or that of these bombers) believes that a Muslim government will bring peace to the world, even if the people under it are not Muslims. This is kind of a topdown approach to faith and government. The Christianity I believe teaches that people make their individual decisions, which then can influence government- a bottom up approach to faith. Christianity has tried the top down approach before (the Crusades), but I do not find that consistent with my faith, nor do most Christians today.

The truth is that in a situation like you suggest, I would likely find myself dead for professing Christanity. Because as John said (and I actually consider it a high complement that he did, even with the note of humor), my approach would be to preach the Gospel to those who would persecute me. I agree I'd probably not be allowed to give any free concerts, though!

Quote:
But I am concerned that, in my jaded gloominess, I am becoming a bit abstract. What, forty-something probably nice people were killed today? And more likely to die in the next few days?
Yeah, this is definitely the thing to keep in focus.

*I am defining "fundamentalist" as someone who seeks to rigidly adhere to the basic principles of his or her faith.

Edited by JeffS (08/07/2005 02:16)

#259939 - 08/07/2005 02:29 Re: Here we go again.. London this time.. [Re: JeffS]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Christianity has tried the top down approach before (the Crusades), but I do not find that consistent with my faith, nor do most Christians today.

Well said. And it drives home the point that it's *people* who do good or bad things, not the written text that they claim to follow.

#259940 - 08/07/2005 03:57 Re: Here we go again.. London this time.. [Re: loren]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Funny you should mention something like that. When I got up this morning and read what happened on Google News, I went and turned on CNN (why I have no idea, and why I expected more than I got is a good question as well). A few minutes of inane BS chatter between the two talking heads and the guy turns to the camera and says "And coming up next... how will all this effect todays stocks..."

I couldn't f'n believe it. My disdain for news networks will never cease to gain momentum apparently.

The events during the 9/11 attacks were one big reason I started paying more attention to the BBC online. And this evening, I'm pulling out my credit card to subscribe to BBC News Broadband. The reason this time? I tuned into Headline News expecting 24 hour news coverage, and instead got the two politicially opposed two person talk show that plagues all the other "news" channels.

It would have been big news if some foreign news anchor made such comments hours after the trade centers fell. But yet, attacks occur in London, and suddenly it's ok for our news media to make stupid comments. And we wonder why the US is seen so badly by the rest of the world beyond our politics.

#259941 - 08/07/2005 04:48 Re: Here we go again.. London this time.. [Re: JaBZ]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
Yeah, I was shocked this morning. I hope everybody here and their loved ones are OK. Apparent stoicism of Londoners is impressive ("Well, we survived much worse...").

Discussion when I return, but, after a quick scan, I am affraid Jim has good points. Of course, We shall never surrender, but things are complicated.

Good luck, everybody, and have a very nice Meet regardless!
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2