Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#268899 - 07/11/2005 16:40 TiVo and Yahoo
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH

#268900 - 08/11/2005 01:00 Re: TiVo and Yahoo [Re: JBjorgen]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Yawn-who!

#268901 - 08/11/2005 01:35 Re: TiVo and Yahoo [Re: gbeer]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
I personally would feel better about their future if they'd made a deal with google.

#268902 - 08/11/2005 02:01 Re: TiVo and Yahoo [Re: JBjorgen]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I would think the thing with comcast is a pretty good deal.

Matt

#268903 - 08/11/2005 04:42 Re: TiVo and Yahoo [Re: JBjorgen]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
I can't quite figure the tie in with a company like google or yahoo. I just haven't felt the need to command my tivo to get a show from a some remote location.

Maybe if yahoo or google were looking to start providing shows for download... but then I don't buy PPViews either so that's not much of an attraction either.

#268904 - 08/11/2005 13:06 Re: TiVo and Yahoo [Re: JBjorgen]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Seems both companies had their heads so far up their asses they forgot about the most basic information they could share and instead focused on useless crap like member photos.

What about images/stills of the shows available in the schedule? Extended cast/crew data, reviews, etc..? That's what Yahoo has over Google right now, yet I see no mention of taking advantage of this IP. Even exporting TiVo's thumbs back to Yahoo to augment their reviews would be possible.

TiVo is ripe to be plucked out of existence. I'm not surprised it hasn't happened only because it would cost a lot of money for a start-up, and doesn't offer compelling enough revenue gains (yet) for the established large-players.

I know one company that could put something out tomorrow and 18 months from now would have something more popular than TiVo has ever been. And in 24 to 30 months a brand-name (in that space) more popular as well. In about the same amount of time enough mindshare that the general public also thinks said company invented the concept. It isn't Microsoft. They're not going to get there with $2000 Media PCs.

Bruno

#268905 - 09/11/2005 01:04 Re: TiVo and Yahoo [Re: hybrid8]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Quote:
I know one company that could put something out tomorrow and 18 months from now would have something more popular than TiVo has ever been. And in 24 to 30 months a brand-name (in that space) more popular as well. In about the same amount of time enough mindshare that the general public also thinks said company invented the concept. It isn't Microsoft. They're not going to get there with $2000 Media PCs.

Bruno

What would they call it? i-Tivo? Apple is good at releasing stuff other companies already had but actually marketing it.

#268906 - 09/11/2005 02:11 Re: TiVo and Yahoo [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Exactly. You don't necessarily have to be the first out of the gate with a good idea to be a success. Apple's on a goood roll with the iPod, they should leverage that where possible. A PVR would be perfect in my opinion. Logisitcally, a lot more complex because the "TV" landscape is a confusing mess right now in North America, let alone looking at the rest of the world.

A good stand-alone consumer-orieented product would have no competition in the global marketplace either. TiVo is the only brand that has been marketed and/or distributed in both NA and Europe (and then only USA and UK). MS is doing it now, but as mentioned before, way too expensive and not (novice) user-friendly.

Bruno