Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#269175 - 09/11/2005 20:07 Google Local for mobile - rocks!
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Has anyone else tried Google Local for mobiles yet? You need a java capable smart phone to run it, and if you have one that is supported then I thoroughly recommend checking it out. It's a phone-specific client for Google Local, including searching, mapping, directions etc. It includes the satellite mode, although no hybrid mode yet. Map dragging is supported, although it is obviously significantly slower than the original web version. One very cool feature is that when viewing search results, if a phone number is available and your phone supports it, a link is provided to call the number directly - no copying numbers required.

Now I just need a version that would integrate with a bluetooth gps unit!

#269176 - 10/11/2005 01:10 Re: Google Local for mobile - rocks! [Re: genixia]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
The web version is slow enough, now that it loads the entire map before you can even search. Maybe I should use the Mobile version from my desktop computer to regain that speed.

#269177 - 10/11/2005 01:41 Re: Google Local for mobile - rocks! [Re: FireFox31]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
The web version is slow enough, now that it loads the entire map before you can even search.

Yeah, I wish that it didn't default to the whole USA map. That is just a bandwidth waste. But I don't find using the service to be too slow at all.

#269178 - 10/11/2005 19:10 Re: Google Local for mobile - rocks! [Re: genixia]
jondle
new poster

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
I installed it the day Slashdot posted this. It is really great. It is kind of slow to be used in much other than emergancies.

Quote:
Now I just need a version that would integrate with a bluetooth gps unit!

Most phones have GPS built in. Why don't applications take advantage of that? I read somewhere there is no programming interface for it, but [matthew mcconaughey] it would be a lot cooler [functional] if there was. [/matthew mcconaughey]
Mark IIa -- #30103119 -- 70 gig w/ ext3 fs-- Eutronix Light Kit -- Greenlight buttons

#269179 - 10/11/2005 20:25 Re: Google Local for mobile - rocks! [Re: genixia]
lastdan
enthusiast

Loc: santa cruz,ca
there is a way to start google local in your area.
do a search for anything, like your house. use an address, not a place or business name.
in the bubble that pops up, there should be a 'set as start location'.

it's listed in the help section, but you have to tell it to search for certain things for the option to be available.

#269180 - 10/11/2005 23:53 Re: Google Local for mobile - rocks! [Re: jondle]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
I installed it the day Slashdot posted this. It is really great. It is kind of slow to be used in much other than emergancies.

I don't agree. Sure it's slower than the web version, but I bet I could still find and call a pizza joint much faster than I could find a phonebook. If on the road, I could find an address and directions much quicker than the time it would take me to boot a laptop and locate a free wireless AP.

Quote:

Most phones have GPS built in. Why don't applications take advantage of that? I read somewhere there is no programming interface for it, but [matthew mcconaughey] it would be a lot cooler [functional] if there was. [/matthew mcconaughey]

No, most phones don't have GPS built in. All phones sold today have E911 capability which is not the same thing. E911 phase 1 only reports the cell tower being used. E911 phase 2 uses celltower triangulation to resolve position to between 50 and 300 meters. And it's certainly not global either - no cell signal, no positioning information.

But - it would be nice if Google could attempt to use that information, if only to get a base area for searching. Being able to search the local area without even knowing a town name or zip code could be incredibly useful.

Some software does exist that can take advantage of the information. For instance, miniGPS uses that information to trigger events that you can use to eg change profiles automatically when you arrive in or leave a cell. It looks cool, but I'm not sure it's worth $19.

#269181 - 10/11/2005 23:56 Re: Google Local for mobile - rocks! [Re: genixia]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Anyone have a link to a .jar file for this? The jad files google is giving me won't run on my A780 since it's not supported officially.

#269182 - 11/11/2005 13:17 Re: Google Local for mobile - rocks! [Re: genixia]
jondle
new poster

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Quote:
I don't agree. Sure it's slower than the web version, but I bet I could still find and call a pizza joint much faster than I could find a phonebook. If on the road, I could find an address and directions much quicker than the time it would take me to boot a laptop and locate a free wireless AP.

Being on the road and needing pizza qualifies as an emergency to me.

Quote:
No, most phones don't have GPS built in. All phones sold today have E911 capability which is not the same thing.

I would have sworn my phone said GPS, but after looking again I guess it just says "Location Service."

Along the same lines, MS Mappoint is amazing software. It has the phone number of everything you would want to visit everywhere in the US. Hotels, restaurants, everything.

Also, in the car, my copilot hooks my cell phone up to my laptop to connect to the internet while I drive, which is pretty fast. I do agree that GLM would be faster and certainly a lot easier to do while alone.
Mark IIa -- #30103119 -- 70 gig w/ ext3 fs-- Eutronix Light Kit -- Greenlight buttons

#269183 - 11/11/2005 14:53 Re: Google Local for mobile - rocks! [Re: jondle]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
I would have sworn my phone said GPS, but after looking again I guess it just says "Location Service."

And, just to confuse people, most phones in the UK have GPRS (General Packet Radio Service, I think), which has nothing to do with location, but the acronym's confusingly similar.

#269184 - 11/11/2005 16:06 Re: Google Local for mobile - rocks! [Re: Roger]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:
And, just to confuse people, most phones in the UK have GPRS (General Packet Radio Service

Over here, a subset of that is often referred to as EDGE (Enhanced Data GSM Environment/Evolution), and gets grafted onto even non-GSM networks.

Cheers

#269185 - 11/11/2005 16:31 Re: Google Local for mobile - rocks! [Re: mlord]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
My Treo has its network connection via GPRS.