Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#272936 - 29/12/2005 02:47 Satellite Antenna Help?
Ladmo
addict

Loc: Oklahoma
Ok, I made the jump...I finally went Satellite Radio, and I don't think I'll ever listen to FM again! I went with Sirius because of all the reviews and opinions (thanks everyone!) I figured it would be a better fit for my taste in music...stations like The Vault and Classic Vinyal (sp?) are 'the bomb!' Ha!
Now I have another problem. I want to use the Sat Rad at work, however I only have one window and it is just a short distance from my works satalite dish (huge mother!) The visalbe sky is very small. The 'home kit' antenna thing is not working out really well. So I am wondering if anyone knows how to build a decent one, or can point me to a web reference? I have been googleing and dogpiling for two hours and cannot find a link that helps me out....Any suggestions? Maybe I could talk Patrick into .....naaaaa he doesn't even answer my email! Ha! Just kidding Pat!
Anyway if anyone can help me out in this, I would be very grateful and so would my 'office mates'!
thanks

#272937 - 29/12/2005 10:19 Re: Satellite Antenna Help? [Re: Ladmo]
petteri
addict

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
First, the best place I know for Sirius info is Sirius Backstage.

Now, you might not need a view of the sky if you are located in or near a large city with a repeater. If you can get the antenna near that window or even out side that might be enough. If you don't have a repeater in your area, you might be out of luck unless you can arrange to have the antenna installed up on the roof or somewhere where it can see the satellites. Don't forget that the Sirius satellites move through the sky and you'll need to account for that.

You can purchase an antenna extension kit, I think it gives you 50' of wire. I've also heard that using a car antenna might work better as they are less directional than the home antennas. I hope that helps!

#272938 - 29/12/2005 11:51 Re: Satellite Antenna Help? [Re: Ladmo]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
I can offer no help with the antenna. I just want to make sure you know you can listen to Sirius' internet feed for free if you're a subscriber.

#272939 - 29/12/2005 12:03 Re: Satellite Antenna Help? [Re: robricc]
petteri
addict

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Quote:
I can offer no help with the antenna. I just want to make sure you know you can listen to Sirius' internet feed for free if you're a subscriber.

Good point! I forgot all about the internet feed. However, you won't get very much outside of the music channels if you want to listen to the sports and news or such you'll need the satellite's signal.

#272940 - 29/12/2005 12:37 Re: Satellite Antenna Help? [Re: petteri]
Ladmo
addict

Loc: Oklahoma
Thanks...I've already checked out the internet feeds, however the quality just doesn't seem to be the same...
Thanks for the backstage thing...I'll check it out today! Anyone else have any ideas?
Thanks again!