Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#27367 - 27/02/2001 11:55 Emplode close when X is hit and a sync is done
drakino
carpal tunnel

When closing emplode with unsaved changes, it will prompt to sync. It would be nice if emplode would close after syncing, instead of staying open waiting for the close button on the sync window to be clicked.

#27368 - 27/02/2001 12:16 Re: Emplode close when X is hit and a sync is done [Re: drakino]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Wow, that's a really good idea. However, I have an inkling that the Empeg folks might already be one step ahead of you...

#27369 - 27/02/2001 14:51 Re: Emplode close when X is hit and a sync is done [Re: tfabris]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
*in a childish tone*
Sooomebody gooooot aaaaaaaann aaaaaaaaallllphaaaa =]

|| loren.cox || 080000446 ||

#27370 - 27/02/2001 15:01 Re: Emplode close when X is hit and a sync is done [Re: loren]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Okay, I'll shut up now. I think I may have just jeapordized my NDA by doing that. I should have asked first. From now on I'll leave it up to Rob and Hugo to answer "Bug already fixed in 1.1".

(SMACK)
^^^^^^^^^
(Sound of Tony slapping himself on the wrist so Rob doesn't have to do it)

#27371 - 27/02/2001 15:26 Re: Emplode close when X is hit and a sync is done [Re: tfabris]
synergy
enthusiast

You know....

I haven't been here long (was in the registration queue, decided to wait until the code was 1.0 stable... what a mistake), but in the time that I have been around, I honestly don't know how some of the people are working with this.

(MINOR rant) It seems as if every other problem/suggestion that is brought up here is answered with "It's fixed in 1.1/it's in 1.1". Unfortunately, us poor peasants don't know when we might get 1.1.

Now I *DO* realize that software schedules are NOT easy to predict, especially with fixing bugs, alpha testing, etc. But I don't know what is worse... Knowing a bug is fixed/feature added and not knowing when you will have that bug fix/feature addition, or just not having it fixed until some random point in time.

(/minor rant)

And please, take this in the best light possible. I'm not complaining, in so much as I'm an impatient b*st*rd. It's just kinda hard to keep hearing "It's in 1.1" and not have a clue as to when we might get 1.1.. (which, of course, is "When it's ready")

And to think, in real life, I have to manage this cr*p everyday... You would think I would know better than to post this.. But of course, given the incredible abilities of the empeg now, I'm just drooling at the thought of how much better it could be.

Edited by synergy on 27/02/01 10:57 PM.

#27372 - 27/02/2001 15:39 Re: Emplode close when X is hit and a sync is done [Re: synergy]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
And please, take this in the best light possible. I'm not complaining, in so much as I'm an impatient b*st*rd. It's just kinda hard to keep hearing "It's in 1.1" and not have a clue as to when we might get 1.1.. (which, of course, is "When it's ready")

Now that alpha is out, it cannot be too far. As far as I understand, the guys@empeg were testing development pre-alphas for quite a while now. A month for alpha, then perhaps a similarly closed-audience pre-beta, and we could have a public release candidate around, say, end of may, with final 1.1 ready for summer vacation!

BTW, as I understand it, once 1.1 is out, we will be back on more frequent update schedule using the new codebase, right? Ah, then we will start pestering guys@empeg about VR, full set of RDS features et al for earnest!

Cheers!

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos
Zagreb, Croatia
Q#5196, MkII#80000376, 18GB green
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#27373 - 27/02/2001 16:01 Re: Emplode close when X is hit and a sync is done [Re: synergy]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Regardless of when 1.1 will be ready...

What problems are you having with 1.02 that makes it so hard to use? Everything that's been mentioned so far about 1.1 is just new features and bug fixes... but the new features aren't "I can't live without them" features, and the bugs being fixed aren't show-stoppers.

#27374 - 27/02/2001 16:09 Re: Emplode close when X is hit and a sync is done [Re: tfabris]
synergy
enthusiast

ME?

minor interface issues, VBR ff, little crap marked as fixed.

I agree that there aren't any show stoppers from this point. I've just been reading back through the threads and FAQs to make sure behavior was known and just noticed a large number of "it's in 1.1". The only problem I have (and it's a personal problem.... I know) is once I notice there is a bug there, it bothers me until I can get it fixed. One of the biggest reasons I use BSD and Linux...

And as I said, given how good it is now, I just want to see it really shine.

(Of course, I'm also impatient to get 2.0.1 on my tivo's as well. 48 hours never seemed so long)..

#27375 - 27/02/2001 17:25 Re: Emplode close when X is hit and a sync is done [Re: synergy]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I've just been reading back through the threads and FAQs to make sure behavior was known and just noticed a large number of "it's in 1.1". The only problem I have (and it's a personal problem.... I know) is once I notice there is a bug there, it bothers me until I can get it fixed.

Yeah, but think about what you're saying... The fact that you're seeing anything at all about 1.1, let alone direct quotes from the developers, is pretty amazing.

What other products do you know of where the developers keep such a close relationship with the users? Most of the feature suggestions and bug reports came directly from the users on this BBS.

Seems to me that folks should be rejoicing every time they see information about 1.1, rather than feeling left out.

And you have to admit, even if it does have some minor bugs, version 1.02 is pretty darn slick. No other MP3 hardware developer is going to be able to come close to the empeg in terms of features, speed, and flexibility. Doesn't matter what version of the software we're talking about, even the pre-1.0 betas were better than anything else out there.

After the Rio announcement, a friend of mine was telling me how other cheaper/mass-market competition would crush the Rio Car. I had to explain that (a) Rio already has some cheaper/mass-market products that work great and have a great market share (as well as more in the pipe), and (b) there's no way anyone will be able to touch them in the high-end, because the car player's design/features are light-years ahead of anyone else.

I have yet to see another system to beat the Empeg Car. There's always something about the other systems which looks stone-age compared to the Empeg Car. A $299 head unit that plays MP3 CDR's? It takes too long to index the CD and switch tracks, and you still have to carry around extra CDs. A less-expensive hand-held portable player with a hard disk? It's got a more limited set of UI features, and no alphanumeric searching. Anything at all based on memory cards? Not enough storage-- Can only fit a couple of albums on them with any sort of quality.

Sure, most of those other options are still attractive to some folks. The folks that are only interested in playing a handful of napster-ized files. But there's new technolgies on the horizon- ones that will expand our ability to store and catalog our music. And the Empeg folks are way ahead in terms of software. They're the ones that'll be in the position to take advantage of these technologies the fastest.

#27376 - 27/02/2001 17:31 Re: Emplode close when X is hit and a sync is done [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

And something else I wanted to say...

Even if 1.02 has a few minor bugs, none of them make the player unusable. It still does what it was meant to do, without stopping, crashing, or going berserk. It just plays and plays and plays. There aren't any show-stoppers in 1.02. Heck, there isn't even anything you could call a major annoyance.

#27377 - 27/02/2001 17:32 Re: Emplode close when X is hit and a sync is done [Re: synergy]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
(Of course, I'm also impatient to get 2.0.1 on my tivo's as well. 48 hours never seemed so long)..

What do you know about 2.0.1 for the TiVo? What have I missed?

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#27378 - 27/02/2001 19:30 Re: Emplode close when X is hit and a sync is done [Re: tanstaafl.]
dids

Loc: Santa Monica, California, USA
If you go to the tivo forum on the avs bbs there is a thread there to sign up for an early 2.0.1

RB from Tivo said he's currently grabbing 250 names from the list each day.

The catch is that if you get this little 'preview', you'll have to wait until everybody else gets the final release before getting it yourself. Apparently this isn't a big deal as 2.0.1 is pretty close to final anyway.

-D

---
reg. #10798 - blue 40gig MK2 #764
--- reg. #10798 - [blue]blue[/blue] 40gig MK2 #764

#27379 - 27/02/2001 19:35 Re: Emplode close when X is hit and a sync is done [Re: tfabris]
dids

Loc: Santa Monica, California, USA
What other products do you know of where the developers keep such a close relationship with the users? Most of the feature suggestions and bug reports came directly from the users on this BBS.

Actually, this one is easy: Tivo

And if Rob or Hugo ever want to feel better about all the impatient people we have here , they should go and take a look at what RB deals with about the soon-to-be-released version 2.0 of their software.

-D

---
reg. #10798 - blue 40gig MK2 #764
--- reg. #10798 - [blue]blue[/blue] 40gig MK2 #764

#27380 - 27/02/2001 20:30 Re: Emplode close when X is hit and a sync is done [Re: tfabris]
synergy
enthusiast

You are preaching to the choir.

I HAVE admitted 1.02 is slick. Hell, I liked 1.00 before I loaded 1.02.

I'm just looking for a generalized timetable for release. I know that Rob and Hugo have been reluctant to give time tables, especially after the tuner module problems. Hell, I'm one of the guys over on the Tivo list (and unfortunately, someone else already pointed out Tivo as an example.) wanting 2.0.1.

Not one of the abusers, and certainly understanding. I was simply under the impression that this was a closer knit group than the Tivo systems, and as such, less likely to fall into the corporate "we're not going to say anything if we aren't 100% sure it can happen."

And trust me, I'm looking forward to 1.1... I just want it NOW! That is a joke, btw.

I'm certainly not looking for a fight on this, as I said above, I do think that EMPEG is a hell of a product. I wouldn't have bought it and have had 2 other people saving to buy one since I got it last week.

Nothing is more annoying to me (at least) that knowing that there is more that can be done with a system, and it's been done, but just isn't available. Patience is not one of my better attributes, but I'm trying.

Now then, I'll also admit, it's a hell of a lot better here than it is on the TIVO lists... There, we really do have a large upgrade coming up, the software is RC status, and we have 400+ people posting about how great it is. That's fun wading through, when you are waiting for those features.

As a final note on this, I also want to make sure that it's obvious that the reason I (and I'm sure others) are wanting this release is BECAUSE of our enthusiasm for the product, not in spite of it.

#27381 - 27/02/2001 20:52 Re: Emplode close when X is hit and a sync is done [Re: tanstaafl.]
synergy
enthusiast

Feature wise, there is quite a bit that has been enhanced, cleaned up, and otherwise smoothed the edges. Enhanced season pass manager, wishlists, improved suggestion lists... It's supposed to be QUITE impressive.

As far as the 48hrs goes.... There is the final Release candidate that is being released to the AVS forum members that want it, on a 250-150 person sweep every 48 hours. The details and signup sheet are in the Coffee house on the AVS forum.

All in all, I'm just overly excited to be getting both upgrades in such a small timeframe (now that it appears that 1.1 is released in Alpha). Perhaps TOO excited as this thread is turning out.

#27382 - 27/02/2001 23:55 Re: Emplode close when X is hit and a sync is done [Re: tfabris]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA

Not to take anything away from the empeg guys who I agree are doing a great job, but this is the way most open source projects work. If you ask the developer(s) they will tell you when they are likely to get around to adding a feature or fix a bug. If that is not soon enough you can always do it yourself. Take Jempeg (java emplode clone) for example. The last revision was really good, but had problems with a few of my files. I have told the guys working on it about the problems that I am having and then done 'quick ugly hacks' to work around them for my files. I am sure Mike S and Dan Z will do a better job of fixing the problems than I have, but my fixes work for me, for now.

-Mike