Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#276304 - 22/02/2006 11:19 PCATS tuner finally done and tested - WOO HOO!
jbrinkerhoff

Finally finished up my tuner kit last night, hooked it up to the empeg (all on the bench) and after realizing I needed to "fool" the empeg by powering it through the sled, I got it to work! I even got fairly decent reception with nothing but the antenna lead, and thats in my basement!

Now I just have to get the remaining parts and TIME to install it into the jeep... Cant WAIT, its been since September!! I have another related question, but I'll post a different thread for that...

Thanks to the entire Empeg/Riocar community once again!
Jeff

#276305 - 22/02/2006 11:55 Re: PCATS tuner finally done and tested - WOO HOO! [Re: jbrinkerhoff]
tman
carpal tunnel

Huh? Why did you need to power the empeg via the sled? I've got a tuner attached to my empeg on my desk and that just uses the DC jack for power.

#276306 - 22/02/2006 11:58 Re: PCATS tuner finally done and tested - WOO HOO! [Re: tman]
jbrinkerhoff

Im not sure, but if I power it from the DC jack, I never get the "tuner" option under source. Are you running Hijak? I think theres an option in there to change that behavior? Im not running it right now, just straight 3.00a7.

Jeff

Edited by jbrinkerhoff (22/02/2006 12:00)

#276307 - 22/02/2006 12:35 Re: PCATS tuner finally done and tested - WOO HOO! [Re: jbrinkerhoff]
Shonky
pooh-bah

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
Use hijack to "force DC mode" will fix your problem. Note that DC mode is the sled, AC mode is via a AC->DC adapter. I think the player specifically doesn't look for the tuner unless running off the sled or it thinks it's running off the sled.
#40104192 120Gb (no longer in my E36 M3, won't fit the E46 M3)

#276308 - 22/02/2006 12:54 Re: PCATS tuner finally done and tested - WOO HOO! [Re: jbrinkerhoff]
tman
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Im not sure, but if I power it from the DC jack, I never get the "tuner" option under source. Are you running Hijak? I think theres an option in there to change that behavior? Im not running it right now, just straight 3.00a7.

Jeff

Ah maybe. I've got force DC mode turned on.

#276309 - 23/02/2006 04:51 Re: PCATS tuner finally done and tested - WOO HOO! [Re: Shonky]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:
Use hijack to "force DC mode" will fix your problem. Note that DC mode is the sled, AC mode is via a AC->DC adapter. I think the player specifically doesn't look for the tuner unless running off the sled or it thinks it's running off the sled.

Bull-pucky. My home office Empeg is on AC power all of the time (via the AC jack), and has a perfectly working tuner attached to it.

Cheers

#276310 - 24/02/2006 14:06 Re: PCATS tuner finally done and tested - WOO HOO! [Re: mlord]
jbrinkerhoff

OK, did some testing last evening... First I updated the empeg to A3.11. No major problems there. I synched it, and uploaded some new tunes, and synced again. No problems. So I installed .444 hijack. Ran some more tests, no problems as expected. Then I took it downstairs into the "car mockup".

Into the sled, and powered it via the AC adaptor (into the jack on the empeg). TUNER shows up under sources, but when selected I get a BLANK screen. Empeg is not frozen, as a down arrow push gets tuner options. No tuner display, and no audio. Just blank. I can switch back to MP3 mode no problem.

Powered via the car leads the tuner shows up, and selecting it gives me fully functional radio... With display, signal strength, etc. Tuning works fine, including seek.

Hmmm... I guess I do not care at all about this, as I dont use it in the house (and if I did my reciever has a tuner anyway) but just wanted to point it out.

On a related note, the tuner seems to work wonderfully so far. Really gets awesome reception, even with NO antenna at all (just the cable). I cant WAIT to get it installed. I have yet another related note/observation I will make in a related thread...

Jeff

#276311 - 24/02/2006 16:12 Re: PCATS tuner finally done and tested - WOO HOO! [Re: jbrinkerhoff]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:

Into the sled, and powered it via the AC adaptor (into the jack on the empeg). TUNER shows up under sources, but when selected I get a BLANK screen.

Try pressing "info" on the remote, to change from that blank visual to something more useful. That's probably all it was.

If not, then my dock here provides power via the harness as well as using the AC jack to select "AC/Home" correctly, so maybe it does require power over the docking connector, even when the firmware/software is *really* in AC mode.

Cheers

#276312 - 24/02/2006 17:21 Re: PCATS tuner finally done and tested - WOO HOO! [Re: jbrinkerhoff]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Whenever I've built tuners I've always powered them up in the house, I usually put it in a spare harness but I power it off the normal AC adaptor. It's always worked in the past, wether the player is running hijack or not.

Andy M