Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#276976 - 01/06/2006 18:32 Re: If this was real I'd buy one now..... [Re: DLF]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Do any non-Apple products fit into an iPod docking station? Now that it's being directly supported by cars, boomboxes, and other assorted gizmos, there's no particular reason that somebody other than Apple couldn't do it (except, of course, patent restrictions...).

#276977 - 01/06/2006 19:17 Re: If this was real I'd buy one now..... [Re: DWallach]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Do any of the "directly supported by cars" gizmos not suck?

#276978 - 02/06/2006 00:38 Re: If this was real I'd buy one now..... [Re: DWallach]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Quote:
Do any non-Apple products fit into an iPod docking station? Now that it's being directly supported by cars, boomboxes, and other assorted gizmos, there's no particular reason that somebody other than Apple couldn't do it (except, of course, patent restrictions...).

Apple have some very definite views about people doing that. It will be a brave company that is first to try it (or one with nothing to lose). Apple also have some technical tricks up their sleeves which would make this sort of thing very hard for products with certain functionality. Of course I can't talk about that at all.

Rob

#276979 - 02/06/2006 05:36 Re: If this was real I'd buy one now..... [Re: rob]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Apple have some very definite views about people doing that.

That's really too bad. Because our world would benefit from a universal car dock for portable MP3 players. If Apple wants car MP3 audio to be truly accepted in a widespread way, and wants their players to be the most-used players for this purpose, then they need to get THEIR docks into every car. And most car manufacturers won't do that if the dock is proprietary.

If Apple opens up their dock spec, and removes the proprietary and technical limitations to other people making dock-compatible players, then they will be the pioneers and leaders in a new market that will just explode. They're in the perfect position to do it right now.

#276980 - 02/06/2006 11:13 Re: If this was real I'd buy one now..... [Re: tfabris]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I think they're going the other route. Making the iPod ubiquitous. People won't think of anything else when they think of file-based digital audio, so if car manufacturers want to add value to their configurations, an iPod dock that's compatible only with iPod is as "universal" as they ever need get.

I still think iPod integration will continue to be a premium or "special edition" type offering for some time to come. Adoption rates for mainstream technology has grown tremendously in the past 10-15 years, so what I'm abut to say isn't a linear comparison, but think of how long it took car manufacturers to offer CD players as standard. The CD came to market in 1982.

Bruno

#276981 - 02/06/2006 12:56 Re: If this was real I'd buy one now..... [Re: DLF]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but here's something small and relatively low capacity (flash memory) that does (limited) MPEG4 video on what is essentially the whole front of the device. Even uses the screen edges for the interface controls, though I wonder about that.

The Clix is pretty, small, and supposedly the UI is very good. But there's no way that 2GB is going to be enough for anyone, really. I really wish they had made it twice (or four times) as large, stuck a 1.8" disk in there, and made something really fantastic. As it is it's probably good for riding the subway/bus into work in the mornings, but I still don't think I'd want to watch anything on that small a screen for an hour.

There's also the Samsung Sansa e270, which has 6GB and is about the size of the Nano (though about twice as thick). That has the same screen size problems, but it has more disk space and uses Micro SD expansion. I'm still not going to get it due to its size.

At the moment I think I have three choices:
1) wait for Apple to finally get around to the damn video iPod, although I'll still have to grapple with the thought of using iTunes (I do so love mass storage devices)
2) get an Archos AV5100 (nickname for the 100GB AV500). I had the AV530, but even that was too small for me when I factored in the video with the music. The 5100 is much bigger, but I love the disk space.
3) the Toshiba Gigabeat S. It's a pretty good looking device, I must say. It's got a respectable 60GB drive, and an okay-sized screen (although 2.4" might be pushing it).

#276982 - 02/06/2006 17:00 Re: If this was real I'd buy one now..... [Re: Dignan]
Gleep

Loc: Iowa
Quote:

At the moment I think I have three choices:
1) wait for Apple to finally get around to the damn video iPod, although I'll still have to grapple with the thought of using iTunes (I do so love mass storage devices)
2) get an Archos AV5100 (nickname for the 100GB AV500). I had the AV530, but even that was too small for me when I factored in the video with the music. The 5100 is much bigger, but I love the disk space.
3) the Toshiba Gigabeat S. It's a pretty good looking device, I must say. It's got a respectable 60GB drive, and an okay-sized screen (although 2.4" might be pushing it).

Have you seen the Cowon A2?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2