Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#280645 - 25/04/2006 18:38 Okay, so I have a Mac w/OSX. Now what?
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Recent events have conspired to the point where I suddenly find myself the owner of three Apple Mac products:
  • StarMax 3000/200, 96MB, runs OS9, not upgradable. Junk.
  • Apple Blue&White G3-350 (mini-tower), 768MB, latest OS-X installed.
  • Apple iMac G3-350 slot-load (CRT model), 1GB, latest OS-X installed.

The first one is basically junk unless I can find some EDO SIMMs to bump up the RAM, but even then the hard limit is 160MB. Scrap heap time.

The other two look useful. The B&W has 64-bit PCI slots, so I can use it for big-endian driver development/testing for Linux (runs Ubuntu Dapper just fine).

But what cool things ought I be doing with these? Especially the iMac, with its 1GB RAM?

Cheers

#280646 - 25/04/2006 19:05 Re: Okay, so I have a Mac w/OSX. Now what? [Re: mlord]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Your particular machines aren't up to it, but my single favorite apple application is Aperture. Yes, it's not as stable as I'd like it to be, yes it saves all your changes in it's own format so you're stuck with it for your editing, but it's just so damn slick at importing, adjusting the various levels and white balance, cropping, and exporting out in whatever format you might need.

As to killer apps for your machines, I can't really think of any. I'd still love to own a iMac fishbowl, but I can't bring myself to sacrifice the old CRT imac that I was given because the damn thing still works. The real killer app is that when you want to do something tricky, it's all nicely unix based, so things work like you expect them to. Of course, seeing as you run a linux desktop as an alternative, that's not much of a change.

Matthew