Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#293669 - 12/02/2007 17:45 Best option - Backup 2 drive MkIIa, restore to 1 drive...
jbrinkerhoff

I have my new (to me) Seagate EE25.1 "uber rugged" drive. I have a 2-drive (2x30GB) MKIIa. I'd like to swap over to running on the one 40GB Seagate. What's the best method to get there?

I have, in the past, used jemplode to download ALL the music off the empeg, then blow it away, then reload... Is that still the best idea? I have all my music currently (mostly) in playlists by artist/album. I have a mixture of mp3, wma, and flac. Maybe a few oggs. Any problem with downloading those?

Thanks for any insight. Im sure this will be a multi-day process :-)

Jeff

#293670 - 12/02/2007 17:51 Re: Best option - Backup 2 drive MkIIa, restore to 1 drive... [Re: jbrinkerhoff]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I would probably take out one of the drives, put in the new drive in its place, copy all the data from the old drive to the new drive, shut down, swap out the one old drive for the other old drive, then copy all of that data. (You'd have to "build" the new drive before doing all of this, though.)

#293671 - 12/02/2007 17:56 Re: Best option - Backup 2 drive MkIIa, restore to 1 drive... [Re: wfaulk]
jbrinkerhoff

Hmm... OK, I think I see where you are going. Not a total linux noob here, but pretty close. In block diagram form:

- Remove both drives
- Build new 40G drive, vanilla.
- Update to correct version, etc.
- Install old hda as hdb, copy "stuff"
- Shutdown
- install old hdb as hdb
- copy "stuff"
- remove hdb
- "any cleanup"

Is that feasible? If so, can anyone help me with the details?

Thanks-
Jeff
(Can it all be done over telnet? or do I need a serial cable...)

#293672 - 12/02/2007 18:00 Re: Best option - Backup 2 drive MkIIa, restore to 1 drive... [Re: jbrinkerhoff]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Sounds reasonable to me. You'll definitely need the serial cable for upgrading, as telnet won't be installed on your new drive.

I'd follow the drive upgrade guide for all the details, just do the copying music step twice. The magic of fid numbering will keep them from overlapping.

Matthew

#293673 - 12/02/2007 18:08 Re: Best option - Backup 2 drive MkIIa, restore to 1 drive... [Re: jbrinkerhoff]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
That's about right. The biggest problem is the "stuff". You're mostly interested in the music, which is all regular files in /drive{1,2}. They're easy to copy with "cp -r". You don't need to bother with the database as long as you do a sync with emplode (or jemplode) right after. The other big thing is your equalizer and other settings. They're stored as raw data on a partition on hda. I forget which one. Someone should chime in. You'll need to copy them differently. I'd use dd, but I'm not sure if that's installed on the empeg. You may just be able to "cp /dev/hdb? /dev/hda?", but I'm not sure about that.

#293674 - 12/02/2007 18:38 Re: Best option - Backup 2 drive MkIIa, restore to 1 drive... [Re: wfaulk]
jbrinkerhoff

OK... its too late to get started on this today anyway, and I need to fing my null modem cable. But tomorrow perhaps. As for the EQ, keeping those would be nice, but not strictly necessary. I could probably write down the 1 or 2 presets i need and recreate them. Same with the radio presets, etc.

I'll go look for my cable later, if anyone else has any ideas or gotchas, please go ahead and chime in. I wont tackle this until tomorrow...

Thanks!!!
Jeff

#293675 - 12/02/2007 21:51 Re: Best option - Backup 2 drive MkIIa, restore to 1 drive... [Re: jbrinkerhoff]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I'm pretty sure the riocar Disk Upgrade Guide lists precise step-by-step details to do what you want. I might have been missing something, though, let me know what it is about what you're doing that the Disk Upgrade Guide can't help you with?

(Note: Your case of wanting to copy the "stuff" from two smaller drives onto a single larger drive is covered in there. It's one of the bullet points in the section about copying files.)

#293676 - 14/02/2007 12:08 Re: Best option - Backup 2 drive MkIIa, restore to 1 drive... [Re: tfabris]
jbrinkerhoff

OK! Thanks Tony, as USUAL I should have looked through the FAQ more carefully... Its all covered. :-)

Process complete, Im now synching the empeg with jemplode. However the 'media check' is really taking FOREVER. Even longer than it did on the 2 30GB after a "failed" sync. I wonder if this drive has media issues....

I'm going to look back a few posts, I seem to recall someone with a "failing" drive with bad sectors, and a fix (to eliminate them) that someone suggested....

If I have to "do it over" now would be the time...

Jeff

#293677 - 14/02/2007 16:12 Re: Best option - Backup 2 drive MkIIa, restore to 1 drive... [Re: jbrinkerhoff]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
However the 'media check' is really taking FOREVER.

You may need to do a manual FSCK, or maybe you just need to disable periodic checking. See here for details.

#293678 - 16/02/2007 18:36 Re: Best option - Backup 2 drive MkIIa, restore to 1 drive... [Re: tfabris]
jbrinkerhoff

Its working fine now. I think the first time through it just took longer than I "thought" it should. Every single synch since has been fine, and the new drive is REAL quiet. I had to put my ear actually ON the drive to even hear it.

Also, I got to "test" it out yesterday. Left the empeg in the car overnight, morning was a balmy 1 degree F. It had cold-soaked all night, and when I started my car it fired right up and booted into the radio. SWEET! These EE25.1 are supposed to be rated to MINUS 40F! I hope I never see that....

Now, back to re-ripping everything to FLAC. Still not sure what to do about the MP3 quality issue I mentioned in my other thread...

Thanks everyone!
Jeff