Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#296993 - 13/04/2007 13:42 News sources
drakino
carpal tunnel

I figured this topic deserved it's own thread separate of the Don whatever thread.

Over in the other thread, I stated:
Quote:
I stopped paying attention to CNN, FOX, and whatever other US ratings based "news" services years ago. The news services PBS offers, along with the BBC are quite good if you want news, and not ratings attracting stories about some Anna lady.

And SE_Sport_Driver responded:

Quote:
OT A more interesting conversation would be: Is it wise to rely on BBC and PBS for the bulk of your news coverage? BBC has admitted to their leftward slant and stong anti-US bias (although they let it be clear that they have no intention of doing anything about it) and PBS isn't a whole lot better (although I do love how in-depth they go into subjects). I read BBC online and occationally catch an interview show on PBS but I wouldn't want to rely on them too much.

#296994 - 13/04/2007 13:47 Re: News sources [Re: drakino]
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
The only two reliable news sources: Fark and the Daily Show.

#296995 - 13/04/2007 13:56 Re: News sources [Re: drakino]
drakino
carpal tunnel

I'd be curious to see a link to the BBC admitting to "leftward" slanting and being Anti-US. Now I can see that they would be proud of their home in the UK, and wouldn't see the US in the same way we do living here, but for me thats part of the appeal of their news. It provides me an outsiders view on what goes on here, and also one of what happens in the rest of this world we live in. I don't think being proud of your home country makes you Anti-another country.

My main point is that I prefer news from sources that aren't trying to gain higher ratings to attract more ad revenue. Almost all US news falls into this category. Instead of telling me what is really going on, the news focuses on political talking heads yelling at each other (O'Riley, Olbermann, and tons of others). Either that, or it's filled with stories of the killer escalators at the mall, or some fly by night hollywood star throwing up from a party last night. And then some are even heavily slanted in one political direction or the other, enough that even the most diehard of republicans or democrats would admit it.

I also believe in getting my news from multiple sources to get all the different view points. news.google.com is a big source for me online. It's been rather interesting over the past few years tracking how big world and US stores are promoted differently on the different sites. Something bad about the current administration is much more likely to come later, or with less emphasis on Foxnews.com then CNN.com for example. Because I wasn't paying as much attention to this prior to 2000, I can't really comment if this is reversed when the political alignment of the executive branch is flipped.

#296996 - 13/04/2007 14:16 Re: News sources [Re: drakino]
bbowman
enthusiast

Loc: Virginia, USA
Well there is no doubt in my mind that the "culture wars" have infected the news networks. That being said, I believe that news, like history (written by the victors), is always slanted. Not necessarily for just the Right or the Left, but for whatever the ideoligy of the journalist is. This ideoligiy seems to usually be composed of money and ratings. In a nutshell, news has become entertainment.

I personally believe that all news organizations should be liberal - not liberal in the sense of left-leaning - not politically liberal. But liberal in what is reported and how detailed the report is. Liberal in an impartial way. This way, a topic can be reported as well as it's impacts positive or negative and to whom.
Still looking for a good way to install in a 2010 BMW 3 series with iDrive/NAV

#296997 - 13/04/2007 14:37 Re: News sources [Re: cushman]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
Quote:
The only two reliable news sources: Fark and the Daily Show.

+1!!!!!11one!!!eleven11!!!!

On a more serious note, I'm disappointed that WikiNews isn't more active.
I grew up reading and delivering the San Jose 'Murky' News, but I hardly read the site except for the Fry's ads.
I read Fark, Slashdot, and Yahoo for news, but I'm not a heavy news fan.

#296998 - 13/04/2007 14:38 Re: News sources [Re: cushman]
visuvius
addict

Totally agree on the Daily Show.

Fark however, not so much. Don't get me wrong, I visit the site pretty often but on certain issues, there seems to be a bit of a slant on the part of the moderators.

#296999 - 13/04/2007 14:48 Re: News sources [Re: drakino]
visuvius
addict

Quote:
I stopped paying attention to CNN, FOX, and whatever other US ratings based "news" services years ago. The news services PBS offers, along with the BBC are quite good if you want news, and not ratings attracting stories about some Anna lady.

Fox is a joke. I'm sorry but anyone that can't see that at this point is, IMHO, a retard. The only thing it is good for is to keep a check and be aware of some of the absurd crap some people can think up.

I keep CNN as my homepage. I don't really know why, I never use any of the video features or anything. I suppose I'm just a brand name whore. But really I just use that for headlines, for the majority of my news, I go to NPR.

I'm a HUGE NPR fan at this point. I know some people will say "well blah, blah, blah they have a leftist slant." I just don't see it. Mostly I end up listening to Day to Day or All Things Considered and they pretty much tell you how it is, and most of the time they keep it interesting.

I think its just human nature to be skeptical of any source that strays too far from your own.

#297000 - 13/04/2007 15:03 Re: News sources [Re: visuvius]
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
Quote:
I'm a HUGE NPR fan at this point. I know some people will say "well blah, blah, blah they have a leftist slant." I just don't see it. Mostly I end up listening to Day to Day or All Things Considered and they pretty much tell you how it is, and most of the time they keep it interesting.

I like NPR a lot, too. They do a very good job mixing the real news with interesting news items that are well-researched and presented in a smart, entertaining way. I especially enjoy the music they play between segments, the name of the song or the lyrics usually relate to the news item in some way, but they normally just use an instrumental part and let the listener catch the meaning of the song.

All news sources are slanted. You have to make up your own mind about what is the truth based upon the facts of the story and not the reporter's bias. I think NPR tries very hard to be objective, that's why I listen to their broadcasts more than any other. Sometimes when I'm driving around and want to listen to some talk radio, I switch back and forth on AM between Air America (progressive-leftist radio network) and the various conservative radio networks. Talk about a difference, it's more entertaining than informative - an exercise in BS shoveling on both sides. NPR seems to land in the middle of the two.

As we get more connected and have more options for media, I'm afraid it's having a polarizing effect on our society. I could listen to Al Franken on the radio, watch left-leaning 24 hour news channels and read/participate in blogs/forums that only match my narrow point of view. Same with conservatives - Rush, Fox News and Drudge. I think it's important to listen to other points of view and to choose your news sources based upon trying to get the facts, not just to hear what you already believe.

#297001 - 13/04/2007 15:47 Re: News sources [Re: drakino]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Quote:
I'd be curious to see a link to the BBC admitting to "leftward" slanting and being Anti-US.

I think he may be referring to the Hutton Inquiry.

Quote:
Something bad about the current administration is much more likely to come later, or with less emphasis on Foxnews.com then CNN.com for example. Because I wasn't paying as much attention to this prior to 2000, I can't really comment if this is reversed when the political alignment of the executive branch is flipped.

Fox didn't really have much market share until about 1999, so there's not really a lot to compare to. While Fox does have a very strong pro-administration bias, so does virtually every news source in the US. It's just that Fox's is more consistent.

There are quite a few media watchdog groups out there, and they all seem to say that there is a pro-administration bias in almost all media, regardless of the administration. I'll be very interested in seeing what Fox does when we get a Democratic president. Their bias may change somewhat. After all, the bias at Fox has been reported to come from Rupert Murdoch himself, and he's just interested in making money. He may see an advantage in pro-administration biases. Or he may continue to pander to the right wing nutjobs. Whatever makes him more money.