Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#303420 - 27/10/2007 03:37 Re: looking for mATX case for Windows Home Server [Re: DWallach]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
Quote:

Lacking in speed, lacking in build quality, too loud, something else?

In speed mostly. I can only speak for the HP model (found close to no info on other models), because that one is using an AMD CPU. I really prefer Intel these days... more speed for the same amount (or less) of power consumption. What really bugs me the most is the fact HP server only has 512 MB of memory, which I doubt will be sufficient, judging on how economical Windows usually deals with RAM...
Quote:

I imagine (perhaps without justification) that there will be a slew of vendors getting into the business of selling WHS boxes in time for Christmas. Who knows, maybe even Apple will have a competitive surprise up their sleeves.

You're probably right. I'm also pretty sure that, now that Microsoft has jumped onto this certain section of the market, a lot more models like the HP will be released. But we'll just have to wait and see I guess...

#303421 - 27/10/2007 07:31 Re: looking for mATX case for Windows Home Server [Re: BartDG]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Quote:
the fact HP server only has 512 MB of memory, which I doubt will be sufficient, judging on how economical Windows usually deals with RAM...

You be surprised, a Windows server just doing some light file serving and backup duties (which is what WSH will be doing) can cope perfectly fine on 512 MB. In fact my main Window server here still only has 386MB and that is a database server too.

It tends to be desktop apps that use up huge gobs of memory, largely because they are more visible to users and so Microsoft et al keep throwing features at them endlessly

#303422 - 27/10/2007 12:01 Re: looking for mATX case for Windows Home Server [Re: drakino]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Tom, what benchmarks did you see for the Infrant that showed them near the top? I've only ever seen tests that show them near the bottom. In fact all SoHo NAS solutions were abysmal for speed at only a fraction of the data transfer rate of external USB or Firewire devices (even when connected via an all Gigabit path).

I'd like at some point to have a robust NAS solution, but I don't see anything that really makes me want to jump on it yet. For no I'll stick with he Mac mini running a couple of external drives (one for media streaming and a dual drive RAID1 enclosure for backups). TIme Machine in the new 10.5 version of Mac OS can't back up to NAS devices either. The only network drives it can hit are those connected to another machine running the same OS and formatted HFS+

#303423 - 27/10/2007 15:06 Re: looking for mATX case for Windows Home Server [Re: hybrid8]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Tom, what benchmarks did you see for the Infrant that showed them near the top? I've only ever seen tests that show them near the bottom. In fact all SoHo NAS solutions were abysmal for speed at only a fraction of the data transfer rate of external USB or Firewire devices (even when connected via an all Gigabit path).

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/ is one place I remember checking. For me, the benchmarks were between devices that could hold at least 4 disks, and support AFP so it narrowed the field down quite a bit. It's nowhere near direct attached speeds, but it's good enough for my environment where I want to stream media off of it, store some backups to it, and generally access it from a Wireless N Macbook Pro.

As far as the Time Machine issues, I'm hoping that will change. Earlier developer seeds worked fine over a network to pretty much anything, including Apple's own Airport Disk. All that seems to have been stripped last minute, making me think there was a potential bug there that they couldn't fix without delaying the release. The Leopard install procedure is still starting up the networking system on the machines to allow for network Time Machine restores and still includes text to indicate Airport Disk as a valid config, so this issue may be a 10.5.1 fix.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2