Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#305568 - 30/12/2007 15:43 Yet another simple-minded Excel question
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
I'm using SWMBO's laptop in Mexico at the moment, and have noticed a curious deficiency. She has Microsoft Excel 2000 installed, and there are two icons missing from the toolbar that I use a lot. Those are the "Merge Cells" icon and the "Unmerge Cells" icon. Yes, the icon for "Merge and Center" is there, but I want the little blue icon that merges cells, and the gridded icon that unmerges. At present, to unmerge I have to click Format-->Cells-->Alignment, and under Text Control click on the "Merge Cells" box.

The icons I want don't seem to be available from the "Add or Remove Buttons" routine in Excel.

I'm not sure what version of Excel I use at home and work that have the missing icons available.

Any help for this?

tanstaafl.

Edited by tanstaafl. (30/12/2007 15:44)
Edit Reason: correct typo

#305569 - 30/12/2007 16:07 Re: Yet another simple-minded Excel question [Re: tanstaafl.]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
 Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.
The icons I want don't seem to be available from the "Add or Remove Buttons" routine in Excel.

If the commands you want are available through the menus, then they're probably available under the "All commands" list when you go to customize the toolbar. I've only got Office 2007 available here, so I can't confirm the exact wording.

You'll have to make do with one of the (naff) stock icons: I don't think Excel 2000 lets you design your own.

If that doesn't work, record a Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) macro that does what you want, and then assign that to a button.

#305584 - 30/12/2007 19:27 Re: Yet another simple-minded Excel question [Re: Roger]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
What Roger said, and, almost every version of Excel has a huge number of buttons/functions that aren't shown in the default toolbars.

Usually it's just a matter of using the customize function, searching out the button/function and dragging the desired item to the toolbar where you wish it to show.

I'm not 100% sure of the following,
Those toolbar customizations sometimes seem to be associated with the specific spreadsheet, but if they are made with no spreadsheets open, they stick and are available when excel opens.

#305616 - 31/12/2007 14:25 Re: Yet another simple-minded Excel question [Re: gbeer]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Originally Posted By: gbeer
Usually it's just a matter of using the customize function, searching out the button/function and dragging the desired item to the toolbar where you wish it to show.

That was it! Thank you. It never occured to me to look in the Customize section.

tanstaafl.